Sign in to follow this  

What would be my best first game?

This topic is 3295 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have never programmed a game before. Tried, but never finished them. I am excperienced in C++ as I have been using it for years now. I have tried Tetris but it is very boring. Should I make my own simple game or one that has been done before(Pong, try Tetris again). Thanks for all of your help! =) BTW, I can use OpenGL or GLUT.

Quote:
Original post by landes1024
I have never programmed a game before. Tried, but never finished them. I am excperienced in C++ as I have been using it for years now. I have tried Tetris but it is very boring. Should I make my own simple game or one that has been done before(Pong, try Tetris again). Thanks for all of your help! =)
Definitely start really small, and make sure to actually finish it before going on to something larger - I myself am often guilty of not finishing on e project before heading to the next, and it isn't productive at all. It is certainly good to try something you enjoy though.

Quote:
BTW, I can use OpenGL or GLUT.
GLUT is just a windowing/input toolkit for OpenGL - it can't be used on its own.

You should always aim for a project, especially when you're just starting out, that will not overwhelm you, but instead will give you good practice with your skills, help you find out what you can and maybe aren't ready for, and give you a good base. The obvious ones have already been suggested, but I find that most people do tend to overlook the value of small card based games. Could be Poker, Solitaire, a matching/memory game,or a simple higher/lower card guessing game, but I think it's great for introducing game logic and structure and there isn't much graphical detail to bother with either.

This topic is 3295 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.