Skydome very pixelated

Started by
5 comments, last by stupid_programmer 15 years, 4 months ago
I've got a simple skydome that has a 2048x2048 texture on it but in game its very pixelated. I've got z write, z enabled and lighting all off. And my texture is much bigger then the 1024x768 res that I running so the texture shouldn't be stretched. Do people use any kind of settings to get their skydomes to render cleanly?
Advertisement
What sort of filtering are you using when you load the texture? Linear? Point? None? Also check your Min and Mag Filter sampler states.
I've tried linear and point filtering when loading the texture and got the min and max sampler state set to linear. Setting that to point makes it even worse.
That's weird. I use 1024*1024 sky box textures (space nebulas actually) and they look great even at 1680*1050 resolution. In fact, they seem to look better at slightly lower texture resolution because it gives them a slight blur, as if very distant. Using XNA, default texture filtering, and additive blending.

BTW, what exactly is sky box texture? As in, stars, clouds, whatever?

I've found individual don't look good as a sky box texture (not sure if you are) and tend to look stretched and pixellated. Make stars a random mix of colored vertex points and either point sprites or billboarded star textures.
It's just a large texture of star like dots and a bit of nebula gas. The stars are what looks really bad. Maybe I ought to render the stars at point sprites and just have nebula type stuff on the actual texture.
Quote:Original post by stupid_programmer
It's just a large texture of star like dots and a bit of nebula gas. The stars are what looks really bad. Maybe I ought to render the stars at point sprites and just have nebula type stuff on the actual texture.
Any chance of a screenshot?
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Here it doesn't look as bad because I made the sphere bigger. Maybe my skybox is just to close to the camera and thats why it looks pixelated.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement