Game Cafe Suggestions

Started by
2 comments, last by deadstar 15 years, 4 months ago
I have a computer repair/networking/home theater business here in NC. I am going to move from my office space into a retail space so I can do some light application training and receive repairs in the location. I am also going to have high powered PCs, a few tvs, and the training room when not in use is going to have 2 opposing projectors that i will rent for console gaming. I am currently in .net training (trying to pass my 70-536 exam) and am very interested in developing. I guess my question is how I can make this place to be developer friendly. I want to make it a place for developers to come and combine efforts to make games, demo them etc. NC School of the Arts is in town and i am going to make an effort to partner with them in what ever way i can. I would like to do in the future some type of Computer Game Creation summer camp for interested high schoolers out of the building if i can work out a compatible curriculum I think i will be able to pay the bills on my training/service business. I don't think it can hurt to have developers around playing games and talking. I also am looking for suggestions on the Game Cafe segment also. I love the site and apreciate any help.
Advertisement
If you're building out the space, don't forget to ensure good power hookups. If you have a lot of power draining machines plugged in (especially dev machines), make sure your circuits can handle the loads (and UPS backups are always a good idea, too ;))

Also, if you've got people inside already purchasing training and lab usage time, a vending machine probably makes sense -- although then you do have to worry about food & drink near the equipment.

Maybe see if you can get one of the university clubs to start having meetings there (give them a special university discount? Or let them use the meeting space for free and just charge for computer access?)
Archive Games - Distribute Your Game Now!
Thanks for the reply. I have gotten some PMs and a lot of responses on devmaster.net

Fortunately the place was a home theater store previously so there is a demo room that i am going to use as the training room/dual projector room.

There was a different flat panel tv plugged in in about 6 different places in the space.

I can get vending machines but i would really like to have a small coffee stand with a barista there.

Yes i think that partnership with the schools is important. I already joined the IGDA to get information on local devs.

Thanks for the post
I worked at a place that was a games cafe by night for just over a year. Make sure you advertise well, offer proper tournaments for a range of games (make a good website where people can sign up, where you host scores from each game, info about the place, forums, etc), and get yourself a bunch of 'regulars'. Not every game has to be the latest either, Warcraft III matches brought in the customers for years on end.

Serving food and drink brings in some extra cash, but go careful with spillages. Clean the machines after each use and provide cup holders maybe.

If games offer a spectator mode, hook it up to some big screens. People love that, especially if it shows the scores.

Finally, IGDA is a goldmine of info.

"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2

A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement