Sign in to follow this  

Backgrounds

This topic is 3294 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to create a 2D rpg and had some questions. First does anyone know where I could find 2d backgrounds/tiles/worlds. I am particularly trying to find chrono trigger backgrounds but any would be fine. Second when it comes to placing the backgrounds, background tiles and so on do you actually have to code where every single tile is going to go? Or do you need a tool? What is the best method to do this?

I think using graphics from other games can land you in trouble, better make some of your own.

Regarding their placement you can code where you want them but using a tool is easier. Either make one yourself or use an existing one, Mappy is but one example.

Legal trouble? I don't plan to make money with this it's just practice.

I'd like to make my own tool, how hard do you think it would be? Where would you start?

Yes, legal trouble. Even if you would only use them for yourself getting them is also hard since anyone hosting them would be in the line of fire as well ;)

As for a 2D tile map tool, if you use an IDE that allows you to build GUI's with drag'n'drop it's not very hard. This of course depends on how complicated it needs to be. I'd start with Visual Studio (either C# or C++) since that's what I've been using and make something simple, maps in a text file each with some simple format (like: width height tiles; example: 2 2 0 0 2 3). When that's done, build on it from there depending on what you need.

Rule one of programming though, re-use whatever work you or anyone else has done that you have access to and that fits your needs so you can focus on getting something done instead =)

'As for a 2D tile map tool, if you use an IDE that allows you to build GUI's with drag'n'drop it's not very hard. This of course depends on how complicated it needs to be. I'd start with Visual Studio (either C# or C++) since that's what I've been using and make something simple, maps in a text file each with some simple format (like: width height tiles; example: 2 2 0 0 2 3). When that's done, build on it from there depending on what you need.'

Visual C++ 2005 allows this? Maps in a text file? How did you do/learn to do that?

This topic is 3294 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.