Programming skills

Started by
3 comments, last by Lotus 15 years, 4 months ago
Hi all. I have gotten this idea, that i want to devellop an online game, but i am totally new to programming. All i really need to know right now, is what programmes i need to learn, and what skills i need to aquire. I have never programmed anything, and dont know anything about it. But as a noob i need to start somewhere, and that is to know what i need to learn, so i can make a game. Thank you in advance :-) Dansekiks
Advertisement
If you have never done any programming whatsoever, you should probably start with html. Get a basic website done first, and make sure you really know html. Then move to either &#106avascript and DHTML or flash. It's pretty easy to make decent looking browser games in &#106avascript + DHTML (by pretty easy, I mean relative to something like C++).<br><br>It will still require a lot of time and dedication to learn enough about programming to even begin writing games, but you will find that it is a fun hobby &#111;nce you get to that point.<br><br>Good luck!
Check out the first gameplay video from my javascript/PHP RTS game
I am by no means an expert, or even a pseudo-expert, but I would start by creating realistic goals for yourself. You cannot realistically expect to be able to create an complex online oriented game in your first shot. Heck, even seasoned game studios can't seem to do it half the time!

So first, you need to be realistic about the amount of work and difficulty ahead. If you can do that, and are willing to learn/read and take it slow, I'm sure you can be successful.

As for first steps, I'll leave that to people smarter than I.
Uhmm... before making any sort of suggestions, I think it'd help if you define what you meant by online game? Do you mean a browser based game, a MMORPG like World of Warcard, or a simpler (networking-wise) online capable game like Quake or Unreal?
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Since you mentioned that you "never programmed anything" I assume that you want to "program" your game. In this case, you need to start right from the beginning and go from "Hello World" to displaying graphics and further to networking.

Start by picking a programming language that you know you can use in games. Do a survey and make your pick then stick with it until you've learned how to program. Learn the basics and intermediate stuff then try to write your first trivial game. Something like tic-tac-toe or connect four. By the time you do this you will have a sense of what it involves to make a game and how to step up to building something online.

Another alternative to programming a game, is just building it. Look into game development IDEs like DarkBASIC and Multimedia Fusion or game engines like Torque. This will take you less time to have a game up and running but usually at the cost of losing some control over what you are building. Nonetheless, even this path will allow you to learn a lot about the process of building a game.

Good luck.

Check out War to the Core the world domination space MOBA-RTS hybrid.
Join us on Discord.
Into sci-fi novels? Then check out Spectral Legends.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement