Sign in to follow this  

I've been Considering this for a while

This topic is 3295 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Here' the thing. I love games always have always will. I've designed probably about 20 games on paper but have no idea how about getting it turned around and completed I took some older games and modified them with editors but nothing on this scale I am dead set on setting up my two best ideas. Obviously I dont want to give to much out about them but i dropped out of school for programming to go into IT. Now that I'm a little older and more experienced waht can I do to try and get this off the ground. I know my limits and that I can't do it alone. My biggest downfall is that I live in Minnesota so there isn't probably a lot of options to get help but I really believe that the 2 Ideas I am focusing on would be major games that people would love to play. HELP?

First off, not to sound too insulting. But ideas are 99% worthless. What you need is to be specific enough in a goal to get people to help you out.
There was a recent post on "the seven basic plots" and really games fall into the same sort of ideas. You have RPG's, Puzzle games, adventure games, FPS, RTS, Tactics, and a small multitude of other games. But for the most part you can settle your idea down to just a few words, and those few words will give you direction.
And in any of those directions there is still a large amount of the game that you CAN do on your own. A RPG doesn't have to have Fallout3 graphics to be a RPG, a text based MUD can have most the same mechanics (minus the FPS part). Make a mod for oblivion, or HL2 if you want a FPS.
And figure out if programming is for you, or if you are more into models, scripting, textures, writing. Making a game has many different aspects, and noone is going to drop their idea's for yours till they see that you have something really working. And to get working you need to chose a direction so people can push you further along in those goals.

Nobody will buy your ideas, or work with you in the sole capacity as "guy who implements your ideas while you sit there and refine them." At least, nobody who has the qualifications to actually produce a quality product based on your ideas.

Ideas are, by and large, worthless. It's the ability to implement them that counts.

You have three basic options. You can acquire a game-creation tool (RPG Maker XP, Game Maker, et cetera), which are typically geared towards quick-and-dirty creation of relatively simple games for the nontechnical. If those tools seem too limiting, you can opt to mod an existing game that is similar to the game your idea describes and has suitable modding tools (Oblivion, for example). Or you can learn to program and build the game yourself (also learning to produce art or finding an artist to do so, when the time comes). If you opt for this last route I would suggest taking a look at the programming language Python. It is a good first choice for the neophyte programmer.

This topic is 3295 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.