Simulated NPC lives

Started by
31 comments, last by Orymus3 15 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by Wavinator
I'm far more a fan of deep, complex gameplay than I am immersive gameplay. I think those who advocate realism forget how tedious realism actual is (try playing a flight sim without combat as an example).
Realism and Immersion are not the same thing. A player is perfectly capable of being immersed in an extremely unrealistic game.
The key element to immersion, as I mentioned before, is consistency not realism.

Quote:I don't think the wait function cuts it. Waiting for merchants to regenerate cash in Morrowind was a lame solution to what I think is often a core design flaw in most RPGs: You want the player to feel like they're progressing, and so you give them more and more money/gold/etc. But they have to have something to put it into, so you have to give them things to buy which rise in price. Unchecked, this leads to the 50,000 battle helmet nobody but some guy in the boonies can afford to buy.

This is a basic problem of unchecked growth. But rather than addressing that problem, we get "Wait."
The wait function was not designed for the purpose of getting more cash on vendors. It worked for that purpose, but that's not what it was for.
You are correct in mentioning the true source of the issue, a design flaw, but don't blame the wrench for being inefficient tool at driving nails.

Quote:I don't mind having day and night cycles when it creates a tactical difference in the map. In the old Daggerfall it was a thrill to come into a town at night for the first time and realize that the normally peaceful city was now teaming with guards fighting brigands. But doing it because it's "realistic" only makes me fear that line of reasoning down the road (what's next, finding an appropriate bush to fertilize in the wild because you need to go???? It fits the same argument!)
*disbelief*
This line of reasoning is simply absurd!
Just because it's funny to see your friend trip and fall doesn't mean you're going to shove him off a cliff.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by brent_w
Realism and Immersion are not the same thing.

I think you're technically correct, but in most arguments for immersion a realistic depiction of things is what I hear being argued for, be it involving NPCs with complex lives or the the accurate scattering of light to simulate an atmosphere.

Quote:
A player is perfectly capable of being immersed in an extremely unrealistic game.

Can you give me an example? What game would you call very immersive without being realistic?

Quote:The wait function was not designed for the purpose of getting more cash on vendors. It worked for that purpose, but that's not what it was for.

What would you say that it was for in Morrowind? If I remember correctly, you couldn't heal with it in town, shops didn't have day/night cycles, and you didn't regenerate anything. You could use it to wait out bad weather, but not for someone to return or anything.

--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Quote:Original post by Wavinator
Quote:Original post by brent_w
A player is perfectly capable of being immersed in an extremely unrealistic game.

Can you give me an example? What game would you call very immersive without being realistic?

As badly as they design some gameplay, Bethesda are masters of immersion, so I think Oblivion would be the best example for this. Magic is a good example of an unrealistic element that doesn't break immersion.

While that line is pretty easy to see, a more complex issue is gameplay abstraction. Is toting around fifty weapons and twenty pairs of iron armor pants, while still being able to hop around and fight with a sword realistic? No one seems to complain about that.
I do, id much rather the decision of what to carry be an interesting choice where taking to much weighed me down. Id also like it if the game didn't encourage me to make 5 trips to a cave I just finished to carry out all the loot. That whole system is crap to me and IF i ever make a game, I will only have small easy to move items that are worth much and the rest will be worthless so the player isnt motivated to take loads of crap to sell.

The fact that I can take so much at once just reminds me to ask why I even want to.
I don't, but I'm rewarded for it, so I do it in the face of it's un-fun-ness.
Quote:Original post by Kest
As badly as they design some gameplay, Bethesda are masters of immersion, so I think Oblivion would be the best example for this. Magic is a good example of an unrealistic element that doesn't break immersion.

I should have made my point better because what I'm trying to get at is a slippery distinction. Your next point is perfect for it.

Your original point was talking about realistic behavior and I sort of slipped into realistic graphics (sorry for that). What I was trying to argue was that even if we're talking a fireball, you'll get people arguing for how the fireball should cast light, which in turn should affect shadows and reflections, rather than whether or not the darn fireball should support complex gameplay. But OTOH, if someone calls something like World of Goo immersive, I'd be impressed (and want to know why).

More to your original point, I think arguing for complex NPCs with webs of social relationships and day and night cycles because it's realistic misses the opportunity of adding such things because they create complex, layered gameplay. Even if someone asks for it because it makes them feel like the world is real, I'm still going to be the cranky old man if you as a player can't leverage it in terms of gameplay. A shop owner going to sleep and having a family should present for me a series of strategic opportunities or it's a waste of time to put it in.

Quote:
While that line is pretty easy to see, a more complex issue is gameplay abstraction. Is toting around fifty weapons and twenty pairs of iron armor pants, while still being able to hop around and fight with a sword realistic? No one seems to complain about that.

Excellent point. I think when we think about something like this or your original point we have to go back to what the purpose of the game is in total. If an RPG is supposed to make the world come alive and put you in a particular role, there are far better ways to do it than simulated lives, especially if their only purpose is either realism or immersion.
It may be worth noting that neither realism nor immersion are actually fun in and of themselves. They are things that help you have fun by keeping you from being distracted from it.

A fireball with perfect light casting and such is great, but its purpose is to make the fireball not scream at you how unrealistic it looks when you see it so you can get on with enjoying how it makes people scream when they burn to death.
Quote:Original post by JasRonq
A fireball with perfect light casting and such is great, but its purpose is to make the fireball not scream at you how unrealistic it looks when you see it so you can get on with enjoying how it makes people scream when they burn to death.

Agreed, this is a good point in terms of not being distracted. But I'd take a little distraction in favor of more options. But the trend in games has been for high fidelity and low options.
Well, I think in general its caused by the developers and designers losing sight of the true purpose of the realism and immersion. They are confusing it with the fun parts because its what the players often rave about. They forget that the players are going to walk away from the game, no matter how beautiful it is if there is nothing to actually do.

In the example I gave above, its getting to the point that the lack of options with what you do with your fireball is starting to distract from just how awesome it is to watch it explode.
I think pretty fireballs are just easier to make than fun fireballs. I don't necessarily believe designers are doing it on purpose. It just takes another level of interest and dedication to make something better once it's already good enough. Some devs have it, most don't.

I was actually thinking about this recently as to how complicated the AI should get (wheteher realistic behavior is worth the effort vs the usual precanned choreographed stuff game companies have been doing forever). Does it add that much to the game (for the usual people who buy them) -- can it be as exciting when its really mundane behaviors done correctly.

Planners and such get extremely expensive (cpu-wise) for only modest increases in complexity (assuming you do it consistantly). The more complicated the simulation gets the more $$$ will cost the game companies to develop (tools as well as the game specific data) because of the emergent behavior (all the endcases that the players behavior might trigger). That is likely to be the greatest factor keeping AI improvements from happening.

Yet you can have simple improvements like a daily schedule that is semi-randomly varied at least can make the NPCs look less like lifeless mannekins running on tracks (if they move at all). The player shouldnt be inconvienced too much (as when the blacksmith is out sick for the week). But a varying time cycles (or situational variances) where different things happen (and different opportunities occur for the player) can make the game more interesting (and still be mostly choreographed/vetted). Several cycle intermeshing can make the environment look different (and yet can be pretested reasonably well).

Some challenges might be presented in the mundane environment (with the player having to spot the bits that dont belong).

The players have to be given multiple ways of solving their current problems and the solutions should be mostly logical and obvious (not too arbitrary). Different skills might be used for different approaches to solutions with the situation consistant enough that the player can plan it out (few sudden shifts of situation). Major shifts when they happen then should offer oportunities to the player (Town being attacked is a great time for a little looting...).

Have the NPCs involved adjust their behaviors to macro situation factors as well as be reactive to the player (actions). An NPC who the player attacks should fight back and call help from friends (if any) or run away and hide or various other possible reactions (depending on NPCs 'detail'). Dont ever get into a fight with the Blacksmith in his own shop.... More complex interactions with multiple NPCs can lend more interesting result for overt acts.

Larger macro game adjustments can be controlled by AI -- like spawn patterns (where , what, how frequent) in reaction to a macro plot (possibly/hopefully shifted by the players actions in the game). The game could use the standard 'dumb' mechanisms locally but the placements of the 'pieces' could vary in a logical way (eliminate repetative grindings on 'best' solutions).
--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement