Iso Book, Part Two?

Started by
9 comments, last by TANSTAAFL 22 years, 10 months ago
I just talked with my acquisitions editor at Prima. While Prima-Tech is currently for sale, they may be able to accept proposals for new books in a few weeks. i had been taking a break from iso since the beginning of the year (writing a book on something really makes you sick of it), but now i''m back to writing isometric samples using d3d, and i''m probably going to propose a "sequel" to my first book in less than a month. this time, i''ve learned some things both about the publishing world and what it is to be an author, plus i''ve gotten some invaluable feedback from my readers, so the new book, if i get to write it, should be even better than the first one.

Get off my lawn!

Advertisement
I would be happy to pre-order this book. I would love to help in anyway I can, such as reader reaction testing I find your writting style to be synchronous with my learning style. You have a knack for carrying your reader through your coding journey comfortably and informatively. While I hope to have an engine of my own developed by the time this second book comes out, I would love to see your completed 3D engine
I''d probably get it if it had dx8 and opengl isometrics.
Instead of iso, I would very much like to see a book on tile based terrain engines, like the ones being used by the new 3D RTS games comming out this fall. For example: Emperor:Battle for Dune, Age of Mythology, Warcraft 3, Empire Earth, Battle Realms and even Civilization 3 is using a 3D engine. Its becoming the replacement to iso. So I dont see much of any need for another isometric book.

Possibility
Another ISO book? There is only one so far and I can see a definite need for another and from the same author.

D3D rendering and such like bring it on! How many post''s have
you seen here lately that have beginners struggling with the
whole concept of trying to squeeze 3D into 2D?

I have no doubt one of the biggest stumbling blocks is trying
to demystify 3D. ISO is 3D and a lot of the basic problems
of rendering order are removed if you embrace the hardware
and Z buffering.

Just take a look at the thread regarding objects bigger than
one tile. I participated and then gave up the ghost because
the guy is better of worrying about his game rather than
rendering order.

Once we all accept that to get a truly flexible ISO engine
is to move to 3D concepts then we can move on.

I have been writing games for over ten years now and it takes
a lot to admit defeat. My days of writing software rasterisers
to work out hidden surface problems are over. Unless I make a
game for a mobile phone that is

I suspect that TANS knows this :-)

I would love another iso book. I found the first one very helpful. ;?>

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent." - Qui-Gon Jinn
I would love to see a book dedicated entirely to tile-based
games as well, the genre is still very popular (gameboy, gba)
and I just want to write a damn final fantasy clone =)

btw is there any good tutorials out there for tile based rpgs?
www.gamedeveloper.f2s.com
I suspect tehre is still a lot of ground to cover.

One thing thwt wasn''t in the first book that I''m beginning to struggle with now is elevations in a 2D ISO game. (Any suggestions woudl be helpful. I can see how to "fly" easily enough but I''m less clear on things like stairs, platforms and so on...)

Joseph Farrell wrote a 10-part article on a tile-based console rpg right here on gamedev.net. Just look through all of the old featured articles for an article calles Genesis.
I''m going to buy your first book. Going to the bookstore on Wednesday to check it out

The only "bad" thing I could complain about is that it uses DX7 and not DX8. But I know why, DX8 wasn''t available when you wrote the book Still gonna buy it though

IF you''re gonna write a second one:
- NO "introduction to Direct X", no matter what your publisher says. You''ve already done that.
- DX8! Please include cool things like alpha blending to make fog or something
- Try to work your way through a whole engine. So that in the end the reader should have an working engine, with all that includes (sound, collision detecting, etc...)
- If you could teach how to do "movie scripts" it would be worth gold! "Movie scripts", like when the characters start moving around by themself talking and "moving the story forward" (Final Fantasy uses that alot)
- DX8! *again*
- This maybe break the whole point of using isometric: Rotation and zooming in maps.
- An good algorithm for minimap. How to make the whole map of a town that''s 10 screens big and transform it into a map in the inventory (or something).
- Path finding would be very nice.
- Character "evolution" (exp. points, gained strength etc.) would be very nice too.
- Like someone mentioned, the type of Isometric engines that are used today. Warcraft 3 and such. Try to make your engine like that, that would impress the sh*t out of me! *lol*
- Just try to make the book more advanced than the first one. So the reader wants to own the first one, and read it *hehe* > Pick up where you left.

Well! That''s what I could come up with! Hope you like my ideas and hope to see "_Advanced_ Isometric Game Programming with DirectX8 Graphics" in the stores and on my book shelf soon!

Best of luck!

}+TITANIUM+{
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement