Problems with Delphi Hello World

Started by
17 comments, last by rodneyldixon 22 years, 10 months ago
Yep,

as said...
You haven''t defined the label.
So before adding label1.caption := ''blablabla''
first put a label on the form and name it label1 (should be automatic)

You can also test your button by fe say form1.caption := ''blablablab''
Now the tiltebar of your form (which is probably form1) is changed.

Gr,
BoRReL
Advertisement
quote:
I''m using Borland Delphi 5.0 Enterprise Edition IDE.

Try re-installing Delphi. If it still doesn''t work, try visiting goatse.cx for more advice.

Good luck.
Hey Moderator. It actually seems like Rodney is trying, but a bunch of these people are still making off-posts. I think their posts should be removed because it sounds like he made a simple "DUH" mistake.

Just a thought.

BeS
It''s Da BOMB Baby!!!
. o O ~
A little nonsense now and then,
is relished by the wisest men
~ O o .
-- Willy Wonka
BeSIt's Da BOMB Baby!!!. o O ~ A little nonsense now and then,is relished by the wisest men~ O o .-- Willy Wonka
Rodney, I''d love to help you but you kep setting yourself up as flamebait. We (royal ''we'' invoked here) don''t want to discourage someone who is interested in programming, but dude, READ YOUR SOURCES AND HELP FILES!!! Delphi has one of THE best help files for a language/IDE.

It was really simple to look in the message window and see that Delphi didn''t knwo what ''Label1'' was. It seems like you''re trying to skip all the early lessons involved with creating visual apps.. learning how to PROPERLY design forms. Obviously you''re just getting started. What I really think you need to do is spend a little more time hunting for the answer with your own resources, and once that fails, come on down and see what the braintrust here has to offer.

I''m not trying to smack you down, just trying to make sure you understand why you might feel like the smackdown has been applied to you.
--------------
-WarMage
...patience is a virtue, and few are indeed virtuous...
Rodney, you missed the bit in the book that told you to go to the Component Palette, click on the Standard tab, click on the TLabel button and then click on your form. The same as you did to add the button. The TLabel is a few components to the right in the component palette. This adds a TLabel to your form that by default gets named 'Label1'. Do this and then run your program. You will find that it now works.

If all else fails, go back to the beginning of the chapter and start reading again. Be careful not to miss any words.

For someone who claimed in a previous message to have learnt C, C++ and assembly in a couple of weeks, I would have expected you to have had your PSX, GameCube, PS2, Xbox (and every other console you listed) emulator done by now.

Steve 'Sly' Williams   Code Monkey  Krome Studios

Edited by - Sly on June 21, 2001 6:28:31 PM
Steve 'Sly' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios
turbo game development with Borland compilers
Ok, the problem was like everyone said, I forgot to put the label on the form. Thanks!

But how can I test my button to when you press it, it will say Hello World?
Just like you said yourself in your first post..

- Click/select the button on the form.
- Then click the events tab in the object inspector.
- Then fill out the whenclickedon event (type function name)
- In that function you type: Label1.Caption := "Hello World";

Like others have said a million times..Take the time to read that book properly..Don´t skip anything....
I am 100% sure that this problem could have been solved if you had taken the time to look for it in the book..

READ THE BOOK !!

Edited by - granat on June 22, 2001 2:24:26 AM
-------------Ban KalvinB !
Where the HELL did you get the Enterprise version?

Now I understand. Maybe he''s spoiled... Used to getting what ever he wants ASAP, and programming is taking too long.

Dunno, just an observation.

Thank you for your bandwidth.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~Succinct Demos Online~
I am a software engineer who writes poetic code!
-- Succinct(Don't listen to me)
quote:Original post by Succinct
Where the HELL did you get the Enterprise version?

Now I understand. Maybe he''s spoiled... Used to getting what ever he wants ASAP, and programming is taking too long.

Dunno, just an observation.

Thank you for your bandwidth.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~Succinct Demos Online~
I am a software engineer who writes poetic code!

I ordered the Evalutation CD from the website. And after I finish using it, and I like it, I''m going to buy the full version of it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement