my own Blt function..

Started by
1 comment, last by Jonoson 22 years, 10 months ago
Uh, I got some problem with Speed at Alpha Blending... I''m developing a 2D Real-Time Strategy Game. Some friends told me to write my own Blt function which blit myself without the vedio ram that may speed it up. It''ll be better if I use MMX. So any body know how to do that? or some example can show me? Thanks a lot, and sorry for my poor English..
Advertisement
Use the GameDev.net Alpha Blending code from the Alpha Blending article within gamedev, thats what I use, but I found a few problems with the code and fixed them, if you would like a copy, post your email address and ill send it to you.

Otherwise you can convert to D3D using D3DXSprites. I find using D3D for 2D is much faster, with DDraw an alpha blended blit larger than 320-240 would kill 10FPS, with D3D everything can be alpha blended without a difference If you like, you can download the DDraw and D3D version of my game and compare the performance (press ''F'' to display the FPS).

Game Download  ZeroOne Realm

Downloads:  ZeroOne Realm

Forgot to mention, the code has about 5 different techniques, I found that using the MMX version of the Alpha Code is actually slower so I use the code preceeding the MMX routine.

Downloads:  ZeroOne Realm

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement