Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The real deal on the world.com patent.

This topic is 6020 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, I just read the full patent, and I don''t think online gaming has anything to worry about. The patent is not on 3D online worlds, it''s on 3D online world CHAT system. It''s a way that you can "talk to your neighbor (in the 3D world) and not be over-whelmed listening to every person talking -- hence scalable as part of the title. Most games don''t work this way. Games like Unreal Tournament and doom, you speak and everyone, everyone on your team, or a single person, hears your message - regardless of their location in the world. ( I haven''t played everyquest, so I don''t know how they do it). If the argument is made that an online game is actually a "room" according to the patent, the you have games like doom as prior work. The problem with this patent is it spends most of it''s time talking about things that I don''t THINK are covered in the patent. It talks about movement in the 3D world, well VRML is a presedant if the patent is claiming that. I''m not a lawyer or anything (I would have to kill myself if I were), but I don''t think the gaming industry has much to worry about here. I think presendant will kill any lawsuits. That''s the neat thing about games and the cutting edge, we use things long before anyone with a lawyer does.