Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SeanHowe

Welcome!

''lo everyone, and welcome to the NeXe (nexe.gamedev.net) forum! This is for your questions and comments about the site, as well as on DirectX. Feel free to post code, questions, suggestions, pretty much anything so long as it has something to do with the site. Enjoy! ------------------------------- NeXe: NeHe DirectX-style. Follow the orange rabbit.

Heh, OGL may be cool, but which of the two is sexier?
Hypothesize this - you walk up to a hot lady in a bar (or guy, depends on gender and taste), and say:
"Hey, I code in OpenGL, if ya know what *I''M* talkin'' about"
Not much happening there. At best she/he''ll move a couple of seats away. On the other side of the deal -
"Hey baby, I''ve written up a few things on DirectX in my time - add a couple of X''s to that and you''ll know what *I''M* talkin'' about."
He/she''ll be all over you. Especially when you mention your six digit Microsoft salary.

Game over. DirectX wins.

Can we perhaps make suggestions of tutorials we would like? Could we help write some tutorials?

Here are some suggestions:
-billboarding
-loading 3DS files
-drawing 2D stuff via D3DXSprites
-pointsprites (I could help write the tutorial on this one)
-particles, and per particle blending
-index buffers
-dynamic vertex/index buffers
-BSP trees
-.map or .bsp file loading
-collision detection - sphere-sphere and sphere-plane and ray-poly
-lightmaps
-various types of alpha blending

He told me he was going to work on a camera class in the next tutorial. Looking forward to it.

-eco

"Build a man a fire, and you keep him warm for an evening.
Set a man on fire, and you keep him warm for the rest of his life!"
-Unknown

I agree with Moe. We need a place to request tutorials! I think that we need one explaining in detail what the different matrices do. I''m talking the World, View and Projection matrices. I know that the world matrix can be used to perform transformations on objects, and I know howto do it, but I dont know "why" it works. Also the view and projection matrices are not that clear in my mind. I read the SDK but well... you all know how much that helps. BTW, That particle engine tutorial looks really cool and im going to go through it some in a little bit. Keep um flowing! BTW, 2D with Direct Graphics would be great since I have no idea how! I''ve been using the wrappers for DD7 that come with the SDK Demos to do my 2D apps.

- Clash
- www.zeroinfinity.net
- A New World, Built By New Minds

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by SeanHowe
Heh, OGL may be cool, but which of the two is sexier?
Hypothesize this - you walk up to a hot lady in a bar (or guy, depends on gender and taste), and say:
"Hey, I code in OpenGL, if ya know what *I''M* talkin'' about"
Not much happening there. At best she/he''ll move a couple of seats away. On the other side of the deal -
"Hey baby, I''ve written up a few things on DirectX in my time - add a couple of X''s to that and you''ll know what *I''M* talkin'' about."
He/she''ll be all over you. Especially when you mention your six digit Microsoft salary.

Game over. DirectX wins.

Yeah, but Sean, if that were the case, all the Mac users would get laid, i mean, it doesn''t get any better than having the OSX mistaken as Oh yes sex.

You are forgetting that all the mac users look like geeks... well, at least all of them that I know. And all the girls know that macs are for people who have too much money and don''t want to build their own machine.

Please note that this is sarcastic and was meant as a joke... Macs are fine with me, as long as they are on the other side of the room I am happy

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - The future of RPGs Thanks to all the goblins in the GDCorner niche

Ahh, good idea you guys, I''ll start a thread for suggested tutorials and copy the ones that''ve already been suggested into it.