Playstation Home

Started by
18 comments, last by Gaiiden 15 years, 4 months ago
Spent some time checking it out today when it launched. Bumped into a few friends I had met online in various games, that was pretty neat. I had a bit of trouble connecting at first but that was to be expected on launch day. Got dropped twice as well after downloading new areas but was able to get back in without any real hassle. Managed to get into the Uncharted movie room when someone posted the code via chat - I forgot what it was though right afterwards and couldn't figure out a way to look at my session's entire chat history. Seems pretty bare though for being in development for so long. Mainly content-wise I mean. I remember seeing videos of being able to have TVs and hang up photos from your PS3 on walls, but none of that is in the open beta yet. Plus I hear that you're supposed to get points or something for earning Trophies you can use in Home. Anyways at least it's publicly available finally, now we just have to see how fast they throw in more content. If it's a month of just this then that would suck. Anyone else check it out? Thoughts?

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Advertisement
I tried it last night, when they finally got it online. But then I couldn't get online.

Then, finally, this morning, I got as far as the EULA. What excitement. Then it crashed again. Then (12th attempt) I got online in a pretty sparse room. 30 seconds later I had to go to work.

Oh well, maybe it'll be better this evening....
Positronic Arts [blog]
I used it for about an hour today. It is by a wide margin the dumbest attempt to add value to the consoles. I guess it's supposed to be Second Life but worse? I have some screenshots of what I managed to accomplish while messing with it today. None of the text is mine, and all of the pictures are exactly what they look like.

This Iksx guy followed me around for at least half an hour:

And yes, Iksx and G-Unit got into a fight over me:

Yep, it's Iksx again:

Also:
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
I'm not really convinced about Home. I'm yet to actually see it in action (I don't own a console), but it seems similar to Second Life (but more geared towards gaming obviously). If I did own a PS3 I doubt I'd spend any time in Home, and I can't imagine many of my friends would either. Perhaps it's not aimed at 21+ year olds?

Sony in the past has seemed to target 21+ (as their the ones with the disposable incomes). Seems strange they pumped a whole bunch of money into something that I I can only imagine teenagers would like.
Oh, and I got ten friend requests on PSN today.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
@Promit LOL

I hopped back in again last nite and it was pretty much still the same, although they seem to be working on the connection issues, something that was never much of a big deal for me fortunately. I did notice though that it was A LOT less crowded, and I don't think it was because it was 3am :P I can't blame people for being like "WTF this is gay" because it really should not have been released in this state. I would have rather still been waiting then to exhaust my Home experience in all of like two hours.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

<flamebait>
Oh, I get it. It makes perfect sense now. Since there aren't too many amazing PS3 games currently available, Sony whips out Sony Home so that people have a reason to use thier PS3s, and won't feel like they flushed $399 down the crapper.
</flamebait>

From what I've seen, it definitely has potential but will probably take a while to get enough content/people in it.
Quote:Original post by Moe
From what I've seen, it definitely has potential but will probably take a while to get enough content/people in it.

And therein lies the crux of the problem because this thing has been in development for two freaking years already.

Although tonight I managed to find an empty arcade game for Echochrome (how retarded is it that only one person can play a game?) and upon playing a level I unlocked an Echochrome body suit, which I had seen people running around in already. Still, that's a bit of incentive I didn't know was there. However Home failed to let me know what content I had unlocked and where to find it, only that I had unlocked it so that's a bit of Fail there.

The Echochrome game tho was a very nice tweak on the original gameplay, which I love.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

It's quite fun actually.
I downloaded it Friday night and played around with it while I was waiting on by better half to come over :P and I enjoyed it. It took me a few mins too, to get connected but haven't had any problems with it since.

Quote:Original post by Gaiiden
Quote:Original post by Moe

And therein lies the crux of the problem because this thing has been in development for two freaking years already.

I agree completely. It's a little sparse at the moment but I'm hoping it won't take too much longer to get some more content added in. I haven't had a chance to try out all of the features (game sharing, etc) but from what I've seen I think it's pretty cool. Not a big fan of the voice chat though, it didn't sound very good; I couldn't really understand what was being said.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement