Neglected topics

Started by
5 comments, last by gph-gw 22 years, 10 months ago
I''ve been thinking, and so many topics/plots covered in movies and such seem to be neglected. Topics like humor, tragedy/drama, horror(getting really frightened), and romance. Sure there are exceptions like the Monkey Island series but most games I see don''t encompass these characteristics. Any particular reason why?
Advertisement
Final Fantasy games usually has those except for horror (some people would call them a movie and not a game though ). System Shock 2 will give you all the horror of that you need
Don''t forget Resident Evil.

As for why we don''t see more... they seem to be topics best handled in RPG''s or adventures. It just doesn''t fit in well in most other types of games.

Jack
Thief has quite a bit of the horror element. And Realms of the Haunting was way more scary than Resident Evil was. I think the problem with humour is that there are several different varieties, and that which amuses some people will annoy others. Hard to get a good balance. And probably requires a dedicated writer. Romance is probably overlooked largely because it''s not believed that the target audience is interested.
Actually I think Thief was more a suspence/thriller in that respect
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Actually, I am currently having a blast allowing Clive Barker''s Undying to scare the chit out of me . Seriously, this game is absolutely terrifying, even surpassing the level of horror that Resident Evil attained. Anyone looking to change their underwear, buy this game!

"The computer programmer is a creator of universes for which he alone is the lawgiver...No playwright, no stage director, no emperor, however powerful, has ever exercised such absolute athority to arrange a stage or a field of battle and to command such unswervingly dutiful actors or troops." - Joseph Weizenbaum

"Artificial stupidity (AS) may be defined as the attempt by computer scientists to create computer programs capable of causing problems of a type normally associated with human thought." - Wallace Marshal

"640,000 bytes of memory ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981

"Is all what we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?" - Edgar Allan Poe

-Brent Robinson
"The computer programmer is a creator of universes for which he alone is the lawgiver...No playwright, no stage director, no emperor, however powerful, has ever exercised such absolute athority to arrange a stage or a field of battle and to command such unswervingly dutiful actors or troops." - Joseph Weizenbaum-Brent Robinson
Coconut,
Really? In Undying, do they scare you with the environment or story or both?
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
The only scary thing with Undying is how bad its engine is.

------------------
It''s me again!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement