Starting at Directx 9 which one to download

Started by
2 comments, last by Skeezix 15 years, 4 months ago
as you can see at the title, im starting to learn DirectX 9 and not 10 mainly because im using a windows XP OS and i hear that 10 is only for Vista up...then when im searching for sdk to download i found two of them and now im confusedon what to download one said it is the DirectX 9.0 Complete Software Development Kit (SDK) and the other is the DirectX Software Development Kit Nov 2008 what do you think should i download and use for my learning in these two?? also lets say i used the nov 2008 one, if in case a jan 2008 appears how do i upgrade mine, do i just download the sdk and install(without uninstalling the nov one) thanks for those who will reply
Advertisement
You may have noticed that the "directX 9 sdk" was published in 2002, which is back before they just called it the directX sdk, which makes it MUCH older than the alternative published in 2008.

You should always install the most recent one [the november 2008 one] you can find unless you intend to use something that has been removed from the sdk [such as MDX, which you won't be using in all likelihood since XNA has superseded it]. You want the DirectX SDK, not the directX 9 sdk [which is a very old version of the same thing]. New > Old.

Also, you just re-install whatever is the newest SDK, or follow the instructions attached to the download if anything special is required.
I've never seen that first link before, I have the second one installed and it works fine for me. Good luck.
ohh so the nov one is the better one..i got this book about dx9 and i just thought it might be better to download the dx9 sdk than the nov 2008 one...thanks for the reply

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement