[Win2000] DOS Programs

Started by
3 comments, last by zealouselixir 22 years, 10 months ago
(First off, it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience to be able to be the first poster in a new forum. Real cool . Second, the new site design looks super ) My question is about running DOS programs under Windows 2000. I'm getting a new system and I'm concerned about compatibility between DOS console programs and the new OS. So, are there any programs that allow you to use a DOS prompt and/or run DOS-based programs under Win2K? Thanks. **This message courtesy of ZealousElixir** Eh. (edited for punctuation.) Edited by - ZealousElixir on June 20, 2001 5:51:04 PM

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

Advertisement
Win2K has a DOS emulator built in. Also, you can use "cmd.exe" as a command prompt.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
Just to expand on that a bit ... for the most part, Win2k can run DOS console mode apps just fine. Stuff like DJGPP runs perfectly, except for the occasional crash. However, you will encounter some difficulty if you try to run apps/games which use *fancy* stuff like VESA or DMA.

~~~~~~~~~~
Martee
http://www.csc.uvic.ca/~mdill
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
...and thats why dual booting Win98 and using FAT32 is such a good idea.

I think Win2K virtualises hardware ports, so most stuff will still work, and Win2K can still monitor/control it. Some low, low, low level stuff won''t work though.

Waassaap!!
Waassaap!!
I can run old DOS apss but if i try to run an old DOS game it runs for about 20 seconds and ten drops out. It happens with every game and it happens to everyone else i talk to. I read that it''s because old DOS games try to access the hardware directly but win2K doesn''t allow it. I''m not sure if that''s correct or not but it sounds about right.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement