Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newbie in need of help

This topic is 2312 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m a newbie...duh! Anyway this is my question. I''ve been learning stuff from Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days and I get the basics of C/C++. Now this is my problem. When I want to move into DirectX I come across new functions and things that I NEVER saw before. Stuff like hwnd and alot of other junk. Is that stuff win32 C++ or MFC or are they the same thing? I I need to clear up some things about game programming and what exactly I need to learn. I don''t have a problem with learning new things its just that I really dont understand DirectX or win32/MFC stuff. On GameDev theres many game programming books that teach alot but you need to know C/C++ but what kind? Is it DOS or win32 or MFC or whatever... Please help me out -lilfu Let your presence be felt...

What you are talking about is Win32. DirectX works on Windows, so you need to make a window to get DirectX to work. On my website I wrote a tutorial that takes you through a simple window and describes what everything does, you can view it here. What you'll read there is all you really have to know start working with DirectX. BTW, C/C++ is the language, there's not different kinds of C/C++, Win32 is just a library of functions specially designed for the windows developer to work with windows. Hope that helps!

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams."
- Willy Wonka

Edited by - BitBlt on June 20, 2001 6:40:04 PM

I know all this Win32 and DirectX stuff can be really confusing. I havent forgot how much trouble I had when I first started learning the Win32 API. Anyway, before you start learning DirectX you should make sure you understand the basics of Win32 programming (window creation, window procedures, message pumps...etc) If you want me to, I can send you an introduction to the Win32 API via e-mail. Just tell me and I''ll send it.

-René

I agree, when I started programming in DirectX, I went from Borland C++(dos) to Win32 DirectX applications, and these things confused the hell out of me too. Just work with them for a little while, and try to observe what they do, and it will all become clearer.

-Fredric

Hey thanks everyone for their help. I'm really glad for that link and Spartacus my email is lilfu@tutopia.com I hope I can get my hands on that win32 intro. Anyways thanks everyone I really appreciate it!

-lilfu

Let your presence be felt...

Edited by - lilfu on June 20, 2001 10:48:26 PM

Ooo Thanks for that link BitBlt.
It''s not every day you can find a tutorial that is as well put together as yours.. much less source code that is commented..

Spartacus.. If you wouldn''t mind.. would you email me that Intro to the Win32 API as well?

k8ukokp3hhh@hotmail.com - Kedaeus

Do you have any recommendations for a 10 year old? He is a bright young man looking to get started. Will this be too advanced for him? Are there any books or programs just for kids?

thanks

[quote name='Spartacus' timestamp='993059844' post='1252365']
I know all this Win32 and DirectX stuff can be really confusing. I havent forgot how much trouble I had when I first started learning the Win32 API. Anyway, before you start learning DirectX you should make sure you understand the basics of Win32 programming (window creation, window procedures, message pumps...etc) If you want me to, I can send you an introduction to the Win32 API via e-mail. Just tell me and I''ll send it.

-René
[/quote]

[quote name='BitBlt' timestamp='993058725' post='1252353'] BTW, C/C++ is the language, there's not different kinds of C/C++

[/quote]

Well, if we pretend that Managed C++ doesn't exist that is. :)

If you are new, completely ignore this post, just a joke of sorts.

BitBlt is completely correct though, other than initialization code, there is almost no other Win32 knowledge requirements.

[quote name='Local59' timestamp='1313441367' post='4849555']
Do you have any recommendations for a 10 year old? He is a bright young man looking to get started. Will this be too advanced for him? Are there any books or programs just for kids?

thanks

[quote name='Spartacus' timestamp='993059844' post='1252365']

-René
[/quote]
[/quote]

There are a ton of "for teens" programming books, but most of them are crap if we are completely honest.

I normally say age isn't a matter, but 10 might be a bit trickier. Try with normal programming texts like the "Head first" series, but that might be a bit optimistic.

Recommendation for a 10 year old kid: Lego Mindstorms

Kids love legos. Kids love robots. It comes with a simple, visual block-based programming language, which is specifically meant to be good for kids. They can later move on to programming their robots in lots of other languages, including java, c/c++, python, etc.

[quote name='A Brain in a Vat' timestamp='1313442371' post='4849568']
Recommendation for a 10 year old kid: Lego Mindstorms

Kids love legos. Kids love robots. It comes with a simple, visual block-based programming language, which is specifically meant to be good for kids. They can later move on to programming their robots in lots of other languages, including java, c/c++, python, etc.
[/quote]

Sure, bankrupt the poor guy! :)

It is a good recommendation though. [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scratch_(programming_language)"]Scratch[/url] and [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etoys_(programming_language)"]eToys[/url] are both designed specifically as programming languages for people in that age category.