Sign in to follow this  
svnstrk

idea for small project:shadows trick

Hi, im currently trying to find an idea for a small project for my class about computer graphic. im considering to do shadowing tricks in games. so here is my idea: instead of calculating the shadow, i save a binary image(is it possible) of the object i want to create the shadow. this image will be textured on the shadow projection plane (maybe floor or wall) and ill animate the shadow image according to the movement of the object. so the floor/wall will have a dynamic texture. my question is: is it a good idea? is it generally used on games etc? if not, dyou have any better idea? how is shadowing implemented in game(efficiently)? if yes, dyou have any link to a website or something for this kind of implementation? thanks in advance. sorry if theres something wrong, im new in here.

Your approach (static/animated shadowmaps) has been used in games few years ago. It was the transition between static light maps and completly dynamic shadowmaps. The disadvantages of this techniques are that there are only static shadows (no moving object will cause any shadow) and a higher memory consumption if you want to use many different precalculated shadowmaps.

Nowadays most games implement some kind of shadow mapping, cause of direct hardware support. But there are still many issues with shadow mapping concerning quality. Many approaches to increase SM quality has been developed, whereas parallel frustum SM and variance SM being the most successfully (IMHO).

--
Ashaman73