Sign in to follow this  
kidRiot

Where do i start?

Hey all, between work and physical training, I want to learn to design/program games. I posted in the intro thread, but decided to make a post here. I have no idea where to start. Some insight to what programs to get, what books to read, what sites to look at; anything could help. Even though i have four more years in the Marine Corps, i want to get started with what i believe will be my career; designing/programming games. So if anyone would be willing to post what I should invest my money and time in, I would be sincerly grateful.

If you own the computer you typed that post in, then the only other things you will probably need to buy are books. All the software you need to write a great game is free.

Take a look at our wiki, it should give you a few ideas. The question "where to start" is asked frequently, if you look through the "For Beginners" forum history (or use our search box) you should be able to see the advice we gave to others in your position.

Have you ever programmed before? If so, what was the most complex program you have ever made?

Nice to know theres a couple other military folks here =P.

Before you even ask it lol,(What language to use?) choose either Python or C# and get started. This is ofcourse if you lack any programming skill what so ever.

If this is your 'future' career you will end up learning C++. So that is your next step after you are very good(great) at using one of the above, or both.

For both of these there are huge amounts of free 'stuff' API/Frameworks/Engines/Tutorials/Books,etc...

Pick one and go for it.

Python is a bit easier than C#, but both are much simpler than C++ and a good start.

I recomend python simply because of how simple the syntax is. Though there are realatively few game books for it, there are many online tutorials and countless books on the language itself. Python.org even has some of the better books posted online for free.(like A Byte of Python ).

There are good game librarys like pygame that you can learn once you are good at programming in python.

All in all it is a great beginner language.

If you chose to pick it up and need any help just PM me. :)