• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
nicolasbol

Elegant GLSL Shadow buffer ?

This topic is 3449 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been studying shadow buffer for a while now and I must have misunderstood something ; Let me explain how I do it. The principle is to render the scene from the light POV first. Then save the modelviewtransformation matrix in the texture matrix, add a bias (to transform coordinate from [-1,1] to [0,1]). Step two: Render the scene with the camera modelViewProjection. In the shader,perform a w divide and finally use the texture matrix to lookup the shadow buffer and hence decide whether a fragment is in shadow or not. What i find inelegant is that I now have to maintain both the MODELVIEW and the TEXTURE matrix when rendering several instances of the same object: What used to be nice:
glPushMatrix();
	glTranslatef(50,0,50);
	glutSolidCube(30);
glPopMatrix();

glPushMatrix();	
	glTranslatef(-50,0,-50);
	glutSolidCube(30);		
glPopMatrix();
Now looks like:
glPushMatrix();
		glTranslatef(50,0,50);
		glMatrixMode(GL_TEXTURE);
			glPushMatrix();
				glTranslatef(50,0,50);
		glutSolidCube(30);
			glPopMatrix();
		glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);
	glPopMatrix();

glPushMatrix();	
		glTranslatef(-50,0,-50);
		glMatrixMode(GL_TEXTURE);
			glPushMatrix();
				glTranslatef(-50,0,-50);
				glutSolidCube(30);
			glPopMatrix();
		glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);
	glPopMatrix();
Am I completely missing the point or is it the way to go ? [Edited by - nicolasbol on December 14, 2008 4:55:16 PM]

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!