I need help picking 3d modeling program

Started by
23 comments, last by Daaark 15 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by thisisashan
Seems like I spent all day watching video tutorials just to be caught up in selecting vertex when i need to select edges etc...
You have to tell blender what you are selecting. In the edit window there are buttons along the bottom right.

Pick vertex | Pick Edge | Pick Face | Culling

The culling button will stop you from picking back faces.

Advertisement
I swore Max was the bees knees of modelling. I tried twice to learn Blender and just couldn't. That was a while ago, and I tried again last week and "got" it this time. Now I find it easier than Max, even though I think the interface still needs a bit of work, modelling is just so much easier and faster.

I hope to keep playing with Blender and quash my need to keep going back to Max.
Thankfully I'm not the type to give up so easily :)

Figured out Ctrl+Tab allows you to let blender know what type of selection you would like to make (face/vertex/edge).

Still a few quirks to work out on my own, but I am getting it... slowly.
*Update*

So, I have a lot figured out right now, and I decided to jump right in and model a 3d face. All is going well, I will post it when I am done, (got to the point where I have to put eyes in it, and am taking a break for tonight since I am at a decent stopping point.

I do have a question though, I heard that leaving triangles in a model is bad. Is this bad in just when rendering in blender itself? Or would a XNA game have problems with this as well? Can't find very much info on this in the blender topics, just says "can cause artifacting in blender".

Does anyone know?

There is not really huge amounts of triangles in my face, but the knife tool tends to leave them. If they are a problem, how do I remove them? :/
Everything I try to get rid of them, just ends up putting a triangle somewhere else on the model. :(

***edited for being to tired to use proper English***
3D graphics hardware uses triangles exclusively. When you import your model into the XNA content processor, it will all be turned into triangles. When people talk about polygon count in games, they are talking about triangles.

Some modelers don't want triangles in their models because of things that happen later on when they want to use sculpting, or do certain types of deformations. You'll run into different advice in tutorials based on what kind of 3d modeling the writer is most familiar with. Modeling for real time use, and modeling for still images or animations are two different things.

If you go to the 'artist's corner' section on the XNA forums. There is a thread called 'BLENDER, The Way It Actually Is'. You can learn a lot in there, it's basically a long conversation between me and pixelminer, as he answers a lot of my questions. There is links to a ton of resources.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement