Publicly available MMO source code?

Started by
19 comments, last by Oluseyi 15 years, 3 months ago
Quote:Original post by BLiTZWiNG
If your friend is really interested in making an MMO, and games in general, I know this really helpful website.....

Alas no, he was mildly curious and willing to explain what he learned to me but even before looking at the examples his attitude was that making an mmo was a completely impractical idea.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement
It's not open source yet but it will be. the Mysts MMO will be going opensource eventually/soon.

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/txt/archive/?postID=8731
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21548
The only valid measurement of code quality: WTFs/minute
An open source 2D MMO you can look at is Daimonin.
Nevrax (makers of Saga of Ryzom) open-sourced Nel
You're never going to figure out how other people have made existing MMOs by looking at the source code.. There's just going to be too much implementation detail in there.

I'm sure people here could explain what you need to know - an MMO is the same as a single-player game, with additional rules for multiplayer and networking code to facilitate those rules. You can prototype an "MMO" with only a fraction of the concerns that large-scale MMOs have to cater for, so of course looking at the source for a production-ready MMO is going to be intimidating.
Quote:Original post by Argus2
You're never going to figure out how other people have made existing MMOs by looking at the source code.. There's just going to be too much implementation detail in there.

I'm sure people here could explain what you need to know - an MMO is the same as a single-player game, with additional rules for multiplayer and networking code to facilitate those rules. You can prototype an "MMO" with only a fraction of the concerns that large-scale MMOs have to cater for, so of course looking at the source for a production-ready MMO is going to be intimidating.

I do understand that, but it's been really helpful to look at real working mmo code in terms of developing a mental model of what pieces and structure a fully-implemented MMO has. I find it easier and more mistake-proof to look at the big picture and then simplify than to start simple and try to elaborate. Particularly for myself, since I'm a writer and an artist, it's great to see the files with NPC dialogue, quest results, icon sets, Gui elements, mouse cursor sets...

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Quote:Original post by sunandshadow
I do understand that, but it's been really helpful to look at real working mmo code in terms of developing a mental model of what pieces and structure a fully-implemented MMO has. I find it easier and more mistake-proof to look at the big picture and then simplify than to start simple and try to elaborate. Particularly for myself, since I'm a writer and an artist, it's great to see the files with NPC dialogue, quest results, icon sets, Gui elements, mouse cursor sets...

I'll try to draw an analogy here - it's like looking at the plans to the space shuttle in order to make a backyard baking soda/vinegar rocket.

Graphical assets and other content like dialogue is generally wrapped up, but isn't considered "source code". If you want to look at the asset structure for a project (which may well be useful), you won't need source code access.

Sounds like you might want to try and mod an MMO rather than make one?
Well personally I would want to make a spaceshuttle, not a soda/vinegar rocket. Yeah that's not practical, but it's just how my personality works. Certainly I'd prefer to be able to just describe an MMO and assemble it from a kit of premade pieces, but then there's the issue of what do you do if the kit doesn't contain features you want, or after you put it together it runs horribly, or the kit itself doesn't have good tutorials to teach you haw to make something out of it...

Quote:Original post by Argus2
I'll try to draw an analogy here - it's like looking at the plans to the space shuttle in order to make a backyard baking soda/vinegar rocket.

If I would like to make my own backyard rocket, I would definetly look into plans of a missile or a space rocket. All three do function the same way.
Quote:Original post by sunandshadow
Well personally I would want to make a spaceshuttle, not a soda/vinegar rocket. Yeah that's not practical, but it's just how my personality works.

Well, TBH, if you can't make a soda/vinegar rocket, you're not going to be making a space shuttle. And if you're not a mathematician/physicist/engineer, spaceshuttle plans are really not going to make much sense.
Quote:Certainly I'd prefer to be able to just describe an MMO and assemble it from a kit of premade pieces, but then there's the issue of what do you do if the kit doesn't contain features you want, or after you put it together it runs horribly, or the kit itself doesn't have good tutorials to teach you haw to make something out of it...

You don't need a "kit", but you do need to describe your MMO. If you can describe it in detail, then you can ask or pay someone to create a prototype from your design doc. The prototype is just the game with the basic structure in place, none of the bells and whistles like "mouse cursor sets", and with very limited assets.

The prototype is far less work than a full game, and you can get a basic idea of the gameplay from that. Maybe you won't even like the gameplay, in which case you've saved yourself a lot of time. But if it works out, you have a design doc and a prototype, which is something you can either expand into a full game yourself with paid/unpaid help, or you can build a business case for it and put it in front of a publisher for their consideration.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement