Publicly available MMO source code?

Started by
19 comments, last by Oluseyi 15 years, 4 months ago
Is there any? Got any links to it?

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement
Project Darkstar has an open source example MMO game called Hack. See here:
http://www.projectdarkstar.com/start.html
The Indie MMO "Eternal Lands", that was created by a GameDev.netter, is open source. (At the very least, the client is. I'm not sure about the server)
Quote:Original post by sunandshadow
I thought you didn't know how to program, and had no interest in learning. What could you possibly want with it?

That said, if you want to count text based, there are tons of them. DikuMUD, etc...

Planeshift
Quote:Original post by Daaark
I thought you didn't know how to program, and had no interest in learning. What could you possibly want with it?

That said, if you want to count text based, there are tons of them. DikuMUD, etc...

I don't and don't (well, I don't mind doing scripting...) but a friend of mine who does asked for it - wanted to know what languages mmos are made in and what the basic structure and various specific parts of the program are. He said he'd explain to me the parts that wouldn't make my brain explode, lol. But no, we're not really interested in text-based, actually 2D would be ideal but 3D is also fine. The idea here is to get some examples to study that are as feature-complete as possible. The ones where he decides the code is a good model, my job would then be to go study them from a player's and designer's point of view.

And thanks all who have provided links! ^_^

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

If you don't mind scripting, why not RealmCrafter?
Since I would want to make a game with 2D or partially-2D graphics, I think I'd encounter problems trying to use any 3D engine; and I'm obviously not qualified to be the one making any decisions about what software to use. But at the moment I'm not trying to make a game at all, just studying how other people have made existing MMOs. My friend and I were looking at the Planeshift source code today, and it was intimidating what a huge number of files there were - he was telling me which file extension was for what kind of file, and that the directories were named pretty standard things so he could guess what would be in each, and explaining the list of third-party software they were using. A lot of it remained quite inscrutable at first glance though.

Since I would want to make a game with 2D or partially-2D graphics, I think I'd encounter problems trying to use any 3D engine; and I'm obviously not qualified to be the one making any decisions about what software to use. But at the moment I'm not trying to make a game at all, just studying how other people have made existing MMOs. My friend and I were looking at the Planeshift source code today, and it was intimidating what a huge number of files there were - he was telling me which file extension was for what kind of file, and that the directories were named pretty standard things so he could guess what would be in each, and explaining the list of third-party software they were using. A lot of it remained quite inscrutable at first glance though.

I don't imagine that would be unique to just 3D MMO games. A lot of the code goes into physics, networking, user input and of course actual game logic. All of which is 2D/3D independent.
If your friend is really interested in making an MMO, and games in general, I know this really helpful website.....

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement