Sign in to follow this  
whiskas

is this doable?

whiskas    122
i have zero knowledge of cell phone programming but i have an idea for an application. i was wondering if it is possible to create a program that can be loaded onto cell phones and can be connected to a webserver. thus, when information is sent to my phone like a text message, i can retrieve it from a website. and im not talking about forwarding my messages or what not, i want this to happen automatically. like syncing your phone to your computer but insted it would be connected to a server so that it is centrally accessible. is their anyway to permanently connect your phone to a server like this? could it be done through wifi? any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

VanillaSnake21    175
You could probably do all of that through Java, which most phones run, but if you want to be connected to a server 24/7 , that's like saying you want to be connected to the internet 24/7, Which can ofcourse reflect on your phone bill. Maybe a more econoical way to do it would be to open an internet connection, transfer, and close it when you're done, but some phones ask you if you want to allow the application to connect, at wich point you have to manualy press "OK". If you're close enough to a server then you can probably use wifi at no cost. It actually depends on the OS of the phone.

whiskas    122
is this the only way to do it? is there anyway to use a webserver to intercept text messages from one person to another? i want to create a site that will house ppls text messages automatically but it cant cost to much to provide the service. like can you have your phone wirelessly synced to you computer and then have your computer upload the info? any other suggestions? btw thanks for your post vanillasnake

frob    44975
It may be possible, but it would not be easy, would require a lot of time and effort to make it work on major phone models, and it would be impossible to implement on the majority of cell phones.

The vast majority of phones are designed to have your programs run in a sandbox, meaning you can't touch networking or messages without permission, and must ask the user for permission every time they do it. Most phones will not run programs in the background or when the phone is closed -- you must explicitly start them after sliding or flipping it open. Most will only run a single Java app exclusively, where you must shut one app down before starting another one.

When you combine those facts, you will note that it would be an expensive application to develop with an extremely small (almost zero) target audience.

cbenoi1    484
> is their anyway to permanently connect your phone to a server like this?

Yes. OZ (www.oz.com) does something similar. As others mentionned, it's a rather complicated path to make it all work because you need to get a hook inside the cellphone OS to get an application wake-up call whenever the proper signal is received. That's not something that's usually exposed to 3rd party application developers, if at all. Then you'd need to negotiate with OEMs to have your application pre-installed and certified. And then convince cellphone operators to turn on the feature and connect your server-side software to their network and back-end billing system (assuming you want to get paid on a per-transaction basis).

-cb

Thygrrr    418
It is NOT possible using standard WMA (JSR 120 & 205) for JavaME, unless you are dealing with special text messages on special ports (not the kind normal users send, those are restricted - you can send them using WMA, but cannot receive them in JavaME MIDlets to process them in any way).

I understand you want a web interface for your SMS inbox. This is not doable in normal JavaME - however, some vendors or operators may provide special APIs for such a task, but you usually have to get your code signed in the vendor or operator domains, something which is all but impossible for mortals (and most gods, as well - a completely FUBAR process).

You cannot self-sign your code, even if it's your own handset. The best bet might be device-bound developer certificates from Motorola, which are difficult to obtain, as well. I'm not certain whether their Messaging APIs support processing standard SMS. Another specific set of APIs might be the O2 UK set of core network APIs, which is handled a tad less restrictively.

IMHO this is one of the massive design roadblocks everyone involved in J2ME seemed all too eager to put in.