Compiling with GNUC, __attribute__

Started by
1 comment, last by Bregma 15 years, 4 months ago
Greetings, This may be a bit out there and so specific that no one will know what I'm talking about, but I'll give it a short. I'm working on porting a pre-existing code base over to an updated build environment. Updated compiler and supporting libraries, etc. A portion of the project includes a sub-project that was built under GNUC (in other words, the sub-project defines __GNUC__ in order to enable the GNU C and C++ extensions). However, I get build errors that I can't figure out. Simply having '#include <iostream.h>' in a *.cpp source file, and nothing else, causes it to bomb out, complaining about a missing '{'. Looking at the preprocessor output, it seems to be dying on an __attribute__ line. The offending code is below with the corresponding preprocessor output below that.
bool uncaught_exception();
_NO_RETURN(terminate()); // <--- Line the compiler errors out on complaining about a missing "{"
_NO_RETURN(unexpected());

namespace std {

class exception;
typedef void (*_Prhand)(const exception&);
extern _Prhand _Raise_handler;
void _Throw(const exception&);

class exception
	{	
public:
	static _Prhand _Set_raise_handler(_Prhand _Pnew)
		{	
		const _Prhand _Pold = _Raise_handler;
		_Raise_handler = _Pnew;
		return (_Pold);
		}

explicit exception(const char *_Message = "unknown") throw ()
		: _Ptr(_Message)
		{	
		}

exception(const exception& _Right) throw ()
		: _Ptr(_Right._Ptr)
		{	
		}

exception& operator=(const exception& _Right) throw ()
		{	
		_Ptr = _Right._Ptr;
		return (*this);
		}

virtual ~exception()
		{	
		}

virtual const char *what() const
		{	
		return (_Ptr);
		}

protected:

const char *_Ptr;	
	};

class bad_exception
	: public exception
	{	
public:
	bad_exception(const char *_Message = "bad exception")
		throw ()
		: exception(_Message)
		{	
		}

virtual ~bad_exception() throw ()
		{	
		}
	};

typedef void (*terminate_handler)();
typedef void (*unexpected_handler)();

terminate_handler set_terminate(terminate_handler) throw ();
unexpected_handler set_unexpected(unexpected_handler) throw ();
bool uncaught_exception();
void terminate() __attribute__((__noreturn__)); // <--- Corresponding line in preprocessor output
void unexpected() __attribute__((__noreturn__));
}

As you can see, the root problem could be the __attribute__ stuff (which I know nothing about) which my compiler documentation mentions in the ANSI C Extensions section (ANSI C extensions are enabled when GNUC extensions are). If I disable GNUC, stuff builds much further until it hits a header file that wants to know what compiler is being used in order to #include other specific header files. If GNUC is not defined, it halts building. The short version of my question is, what does "__attribute__" do? Why might it be choking the compiler? *EDIT: I am in contact with our compiler vendor and they are also working the issue.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Mantear
Simply having '#include <iostream.h>' in a *.cpp source file, and nothing else, causes it to bomb out, complaining about a missing '{'.

No clue if this could be the problem, but why are you including <iostream.h> in a .cpp file when you should be including <iostream> instead?

Is this a legacy app?
--Michael Fawcett
Quote:Original post by Mantear
The short version of my question is, what does "__attribute__" do? Why might it be choking the compiler?

The __attribute__(()) extension is the GCC way of specifying metadata about an object. For instance, the __noreturn__ attribute specifies that the function will never return to its caller.

My guess is that your compiler vendor has provided a subset of GCC functionality, and that particular attribute is not a part of that subset. My guess is that your solution will be to check some magic preprocessor variable to see if you're using a real GCC or something else, and not define the _NO_RETURN macro (among others) appropriately.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement