Sign in to follow this  
blimey

browser-based games

blimey    122
I'd like to develop a browser-based game. I'm not new to programming, but I've never done any game development. My interest is just hobby-based. I enjoy creative writing, and I love playing RPGs, so I wanted to try and merge the two and design my own. Does anyone have any recommendations for books/tutorials on game architecture? I've found a few sites that delve into browser game dev, but none are very detailed. The one book that caught my interest was Beginning Game Programming by Jonathan Harbour on amazon. While its mainly about development on the Windows platform, using C++ and DirectX, I wonder if its a good place to start learning the fundamentals, no matter what language or platform you eventually use. So, does anyone have any advice about that book, or any other that would be a good start? If my background might help with any response, I'm a financial software developer, mostly using Java. I've been muddling through Rails projects for the last several months as well, but again only with respect to business apps. I enjoy writing fantasy and sci fi in my spare time, and I really want to take one of my stories and craft a HoMM/Master of Magic-style turn-based game. I've chosen browser-based because I wanted to try and develop it using Rails. I know this isn't a unique idea, but again its just for a hobby, and for myself and my friends to mess around with. Anyway, Thanks for any help!

richell    122
for a browser based game (in my experiance) you'll need a understanding in php and html with also a decent database to recall users stats etc. try to get some one else to do the database because i was using "MYsql" command line and it was hard to find tutorials etc also juggling between the coding and making the database (dont forgot the website design, probably css aswell). maybe making a "MUD" (multi user dungeon) then you can make your self money at the same time your users can experiance the book or story that you have written.

blimey    122
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of using RoR, because I really like working with ActiveRecord. But then again, I'm open to PHP as well. I found some tutorials here http://buildingbrowsergames.com/tutorials/, and while they have some code for rails, it seems more geared towards Perl/php. So I'm open to use php if it provides more mature libraries to work with. These tutorials are good because they cover what you mentioned above- storing user and item stats, etc. But I see your point about trying to juggle coding for the database as well as all other parts of the game. I might ask one of my friends who has more MYSQL experience to assist with that.

Since I have more experience with Java, I was thinking about a Java front-end, but I just have no experiences with tilesets and animation. I would consider Flash, if its a better option. But I would have to ramp up on it. I have no Flash experience. Are there any pros/cons between using Java or Flash for the front-end, or is it really whatever you are comfortable with. Also, do you guys have any recommendations for tutorials or books regarding game clients using either Java or Flash. Thanks again!