Sign in to follow this  
godsenddeath

careers: Intersection of Computer Science and Psychology

godsenddeath    182
I'm currently a first year Comp Sci student, but i've always had a strong interest in psychology. I was wondering what interdisciplinary careers involve Psychology and Computer Science? I'm thinking about picking psyh. up as a second major. Opinions? thanks

Telastyn    3777
The most common intersection is in the development of machine-human interfaces. Actual input mechanisms (mice, joysticks, etc) are pretty well defined, but GUI design and other mechanisms to get information to the human quickly, effectively and unambiguously is still slipshod at best. Programmers with psych backgrounds are generally better equipped to know how and why to shape a good UI.

MortusMaximus    159
There are some subsets of artificial intelligence where principals from psychology are applicable.

Agent systems, for example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_agent

I did a project on this last quarter, and it was fairly interesting.

frob    44972
You might check out articles and publicications from the ACM special interest groups SIGCHI (Computer Human Interfaces) and SIGCAS (ethics and societal impact of computers). Of lesser interest may be SIGART (artificial intellegence).

Just browsing papers and articles by the groups could help you find some careers that interest you.

Understanding the psychology of gamers can go a long way toward making games that appeal to certain audiences. I don't know of any interdisciplinary careers which specifically require or embrace this combination, but articles such as Richard Bartle's Players Who Suit MUDs can be a good source of 'psych insight'. If you lend some of your knowledge to writing articles of this sort, you might influence the game development community as a whole.