Sign in to follow this  
Almonsin

ideas to implement on a powerful system

I'm an information technology student, and at my university I have access to a QS21 Cell Blade system. Soon it will be upgraded to a dual QS22. I have already implemented a simple path tracer on it, but I`m looking for other interesting ideas to implement on this system besides (or instead of) the path tracer. I have collected some ideas (e.g. fluid simulation), but I would like to get new ideas and opinions on what would be worth implementing on this powerful system. Any ideas and opinions are welcome. Thanks

How about an indistinguishably perfect virtual world? ;)

Okay, seriously. How about a raytracer with support for parametric and volumetric 3D textures, and for voxel NURBS surfaces? These are all pretty math-intensive operations whose next bottleneck, after raw CPU power, is random-access memory latency.

Thank you for your replies!

I like raytracing, so parametric and volumetric 3D textures and voxel NURBS surfaces seem to be quite interesting.

I was thinking about applying MC methods to chess, but go seems to be a better idea.

Now I'll look into these topics.

P.S. Concerning the indistinguishably perfect virtual world: I'll wait with that until I get a quantum computer :)