ideas to implement on a powerful system

Started by
2 comments, last by Almonsin 15 years, 4 months ago
I'm an information technology student, and at my university I have access to a QS21 Cell Blade system. Soon it will be upgraded to a dual QS22. I have already implemented a simple path tracer on it, but I`m looking for other interesting ideas to implement on this system besides (or instead of) the path tracer. I have collected some ideas (e.g. fluid simulation), but I would like to get new ideas and opinions on what would be worth implementing on this powerful system. Any ideas and opinions are welcome. Thanks
Advertisement
How about an indistinguishably perfect virtual world? ;)

Okay, seriously. How about a raytracer with support for parametric and volumetric 3D textures, and for voxel NURBS surfaces? These are all pretty math-intensive operations whose next bottleneck, after raw CPU power, is random-access memory latency.
RIP GameDev.net: launched 2 unusably-broken forum engines in as many years, and now has ceased operating as a forum at all, happy to remain naught but an advertising platform with an attached social media presense, headed by a staff who by their own admission have no idea what their userbase wants or expects.Here's to the good times; shame they exist in the past.
Another interesting area that needs huge resources is Monte Carlo methods applied to computer go (look for ("UCT" or "MCTS") and "computer-go").
Thank you for your replies!

I like raytracing, so parametric and volumetric 3D textures and voxel NURBS surfaces seem to be quite interesting.

I was thinking about applying MC methods to chess, but go seems to be a better idea.

Now I'll look into these topics.

P.S. Concerning the indistinguishably perfect virtual world: I'll wait with that until I get a quantum computer :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement