Sign in to follow this  
Sol Blue

[Solved] Name for class that reads and writes ini files

Sol Blue    139
I have a class called IniReader that makes it easy to load values from an .ini file. Now I'm modifying it so it can also be used to write .ini files, and I'm wondering what I should change the name to. Any suggestions? [Edited by - Sol Blue on December 15, 2008 11:53:12 PM]

Call it 'IniFile'.

The class 'IniFile' (from my perspective) is the file, it's not a reader or writer or loader, it is the ini file. Sure, it contains functions to operate on itself: to load a file on the hard drive into the class-instance in memory, to write on the in-memory self, to read from the in-memory self, to save from memory back onto the hard drive. But primarily, the class is the ini file, in memory, and also happens to have functions to work on itself.

Codeka    1239
You could have IniReader and IniWriter. I don't know what language you're using, but IniReader and IniWriter as separate classes would fit well with the .NET base class library.

Sol Blue    139
I think I'll use "IniFile"...thanks, Servant of the Lord!

Codeka — two different classes is an interesting idea...in my particular case I think one is just as easy, but thanks for the advice!