Sign in to follow this  
Shadowwoelf

Overview 2d rpg(world map etc.)

I am having difficultly between choosing an endless world or one with a world map and I would appreciate your thoughts on this matter. In an endless world the only problem I view is the player may get bored of just walking through randomly generated terrain to get to the next town. In a world map I am not sure how I could allow certain npcs to do tasks. For example lets say trader bob wants to go from town a to town b. Would he show up on the world map? If so, how could you lay in wait by the bushes to ambush him? A recent idea that just crossed my mind (while typing this up) was to have both systems and let the player switch between them when they feels like it. The world map has another problem which is time continuity. It would take far less considerable time for him to walk to town b from town a in the world map. Which means he could travel between the two within a game "hour". While being in an endless world would allow for time continuity no one wants to spend 3 minutes or game hours just walking through boring terrain to the next town. Your thoughts on this matter?

Quote:
I am having difficultly between choosing an endless world or one with a world map and I would appreciate your thoughts on this matter.

I would choose a world map. Why? Detail.

Quote:
In a world map I am not sure how I could allow certain npcs to do tasks. For example lets say trader bob wants to go from town a to town b. Would he show up on the world map? If so, how could you lay in wait by the bushes to ambush him?

Erm, yes? Im not sure what your looking for here. Is it possible? I dont see why it woudnt be. You could set the world map to be a multi function map, like when you can see the whole world or most of it, you can see only the towns and main geo features. But also have the option of 'zooming' in the map to target the zone you are in and show up npcs,current quests,etc...

Quote:
The world map has another problem which is time continuity. It would take far less considerable time for him to walk to town b from town a in the world map. Which means he could travel between the two within a game "hour". While being in an endless world would allow for time continuity no one wants to spend 3 minutes or game hours just walking through boring terrain to the next town.

Make it as fun as you can, this also depends on the game and story. As an example to this. I reccomend playing Zelda games, Zelda: Link to the Past, specifically on your case.

Arcanum has both and lets you switch between them (unless in combat - then you have to fight or escape in the world). Simply - you never stay in the world while traveling between towns if you can at all help it. Also, having a random encounter with a bear that you can't outrun but that will tear you to pieces if you fight it, forcing you to run manually all the way to the city is a good case for reloading. It's just no fun.

Fallout's system for world travel is the best I've seen, I think. There's still the feeling of traveling somewhere, things can happen along the way, and there's a good deal of freedom in where you go.

Quote:
Original post by Shadowwoelf
I am having difficultly between choosing an endless world or one with a world map and I would appreciate your thoughts on this matter.

What do you mean by endless world? As far as I know, there's no such thing. Do you just mean a large world without a navigation map? If so, I would vote against it.

Quote:
In an endless world the only problem I view is the player may get bored of just walking through randomly generated terrain to get to the next town.

If your randomly generated terrain doesn't serve a purpose, then why are you generating it?

Sometimes, randomly generated terrain can significantly enhance a game. Games like X-Com: UFO Defense (battle maps), and games in the RTS / TBS genre. Fallout 1 and 2 could have been boosted with an interesting random map generator. But only because map layouts were significantly influential to battle. If your player is just going to be forced to run through these areas, there's little reason to randomize them. You should just simulate the trip.

Quote:
In a world map I am not sure how I could allow certain npcs to do tasks. For example lets say trader bob wants to go from town a to town b. Would he show up on the world map? If so, how could you lay in wait by the bushes to ambush him?

You could show people as they navigate on the world map. Then allow the player to click his current location to enter a random map for his current wilderness location. You would still need to track people on the world map, relative to his position. When they come into proximity of the generated area, they should "enter" it and navigate across it. This would allow him to stop and wait for people, or set up ambushes.

Quote:
The world map has another problem which is time continuity. It would take far less considerable time for him to walk to town b from town a in the world map. Which means he could travel between the two within a game "hour". While being in an endless world would allow for time continuity no one wants to spend 3 minutes or game hours just walking through boring terrain to the next town.

Why can you not speed up time passage in the world map to approximate travel time?

I will just assume you are talking about implementing this for a single-player game, I think as suggested by others Fallout system would be good enough. You can enhance the world map by putting items of interests, for example, traders and trade routes, recent bandit attacks, etc. Then allow the player to put filters to filter off information the player doesn't need.

So when the player is interested in intercepting trade bob, player can just click on action 'Intercept' and click on trader bob, the game will show the path the player will take to intercept trader bob. Player turns the speed up and intercepts trader bob in a few seconds.

Just an idea.