Name this Design Pattern

Started by
4 comments, last by choffstein 15 years, 4 months ago
I am trying to think of the name of this programming pattern, but am drawing a blank. Essentially, you use attributes or components and plug them into your classes to define class behavior. So, let's say I had a base Robot class. I could have a whole bunch of components that defined possible behavior, such as 'walking', or 'rolling', or 'fixing', and them I register the appropriate behavior with the right type of Robot. So a WorkerRobot may have 'walking' and 'fixing' attributes. I don't think I have the paradigm entirely right, because I think you typically just iterate through the components and update them -- though it is entirely possible that you could make them publicly available through some sort of component table. So...anyone know the name of this pattern? EDIT: Changed the word paradigm to pattern [Edited by - visage on December 16, 2008 7:27:00 AM]
Advertisement
Sounds more like a design pattern than a programming paradigm. This could be either a composite or a decorator pattern.

EDIT:
You could also achieve this with a functional programming language such as Lua.
Quit screwin' around! - Brock Samson
Reminds me of the Decorator pattern.
Paradigm was the wrong word, thanks for the correction. Pattern was what I was looking for.

Decorator pattern definitely seems like what I was thinking about. Whether that is specifically it, I don't know ... but it sure seems close enough.

Thanks for the help guys.
you didn't mean component systems did you?
Quote:Original post by RobTheBloke
you didn't mean component systems did you?

I knew this sort of system had been discussed on gamedev before. Thank you for reminding me of that resource, my good sir.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement