Sign in to follow this  
Theonekiller

Help! Gaming Industry

Theonekiller    122
i am a 15 year old kid in grade 10 that has a passion for gaming. Right now i have a dream of making a game i have tons of ideas, and i want to see my game come to life, i want to contribute of the making of the game in every aspect but i have no idea what postion i should be going for in the gaming industry, Can someone direct me what courses i should be taking and please someone tell me what route i should be going , because i really have no idea. For example Cliff Blezinsky he made gears of war he came up with the whole idea to and he worked on it, thats what kind of postion i think im trying to get to. So if anyone knows what i should be doing i would be grateful if you told me, thank you

Martin    194
Sounds like you want to be a games designer.

This is possibly the hardest position to apply for. A lot of people have a lot of ideas! The big idea however is only half the picture you will need to be able to produce detail designs of exactly how your game will work / play.

I would recommend you study:
1. Games, what makes them good, what works well, what doesn't and why.
2. Ideas from all entertainment medium, film, comics, books, manga etc.. You need to understand entertainment and have a wide exposure to the ideas of others.
3. Graphics design and english language, you have to be able to communicate your ideas and produce that game design document. It's no good having the best game idea ever if you can't convince others that you have!

Game design documents are usually seen by publishers, therefore they have to be of professional quality! Presentation is at least as important as the ideas. (Remember what I said about ideas be 10 a penny)

You don't have to be an artist but if you can make a reasonable stab at concept art that may well help.

shwasasin    482
Hey,
Cliff Bleszinski's role in the Gears of War series is the Lead Designer, also known as Lead Game Designer. This type of position is rather hard to define "what it takes". Some designers come from Programming positions, others from Art, and in some cases even QA. If you're interested in designing games, I would suggest joining a Mod community (Half-Life 2 & associated communities, Crysis, etc...) and learning how to make maps, scripting, etc... Unless you're interested in the lower-level coding side, Mods are a great starting point for making games. You could even buy a copy of Unreal Tournament for PC and start with almost the same tools as what Gears uses.

I would also suggest getting a good education (Waterloo, UofT, Western, Ryerson, or a decent community college) with one of the other core disciplines (Programming, Art, Project Management, Business, etc...). This would increase you're chances of getting a job, plus give you something to fall back on if you're unable to get a job in the industry. One thing to note about Designer positions though, generally when you enter the game industry as one you have little say in how things go. It takes years of experience and a good reputation to get the kind of influence that Cliff has over a project.

Good luck with everything.

godsenddeath    182
Generally, these positions are only available to people with years of industry experience, Because they don't want someone with an idea for the best game ever, they want someone who has great design ideas, as well as someone who knows the process of how a game is made, what sacrifices may need to be made to fit a game within a reasonable timeframe, and other restrictions.

The best way to get this experience is, as stated above, seek a standard job in the industry(programmer, artist) and pay attention to game design concepts. There is no such thing as an entry level Game Design position.

Theonekiller    122
thanks so much for clearing that up for me, but can you tell me anything that i can focus on in high school, so its easier to fit in the industry like should i be taking computer sci? or anything you recommend i do? so that i can start moving towards getting experience.

Also who comes up for the idea of the game, like the whole team or is it just the Lead Game designer

Also, if you really think modding will be a great way to start, then can you tell me how i can get into a team or something?

zer0wolf    1022
Believe it or not, nowadays most initial game ideas come from people in suits trying to tie a brand into a game. There are a lot of notable exceptions (such as the mentioned Gears of War), but take a look at the game shelves at your local Best Buy or Walmart and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

For those situations where people have the opportunity to develop an original IP (intellectual property) it is done by a team. Cliff Blezinsky was the Lead Designer on GoW, but that doesn't mean he was the only one calling the shots. The upper management at Epic Games had a say, the game's head Producer had a say, the game's Art Director had a say, etc.

The Lead Designer is the person who holds the vision. He works with the various leads on his team to craft a game that is fun and within budget scopes, with budget scopes being a VERY important issue. An idea might sound really, really awesome, but there might not be the time and resources to implement it programmatically or there might not be enough artists available to do it, etc.

Now onto modding. Before looking for a team to join you kind of need to develop a skill set. One popular entrance into game design is through level design. In fact, CliffyB started off as a level designer. Dive into the Unreal, Source, FarCry, or whatever level editor (which comes with the game) and start learning the toolset. Think of a level idea that you think sounds really cool and then make it. Once you've made it you can have friends try it out, get feedback from them, and revise it to make it better. You'll wind up going through quite a few levels before you get to one that will probably be actually fun, but that is just of the learning process. There are a lot of seemingly good ideas out there and a good Game Designer is just someone who knows how to spot them.

As far as what to focus on in high school, well, there are a variety of things. If you school offers programming classes them give them a try. Understanding how programming works (even if you don't intent on becoming an actual programmer) will help you considerably when talking to the programmers on your team. Art classes will help you to see things the way the artists do. The important thing, at the high school level, is to just focus on learning. Take advantage of the learning environment.

Tom Sloper    16062
Quote:
Original post by Theonekiller
can you tell me anything that i can focus on in high school... or anything you recommend i do? ...
Also who comes up for the idea of the game, like the whole team or is it just the Lead Game designer

Also, if you really think modding will be a great way to start, then can you tell me how i can get into a team or something?

Read the game design FAQs here, and on GameCareerGuide, and on IGDA.org, and on my site (see my sig).

Talroth    3247
Quote:
Original post by Theonekiller
Just wanted to know, witch program should i start off with? To learn

C+
Java

or is there anything else?

Lots of other good options. (and it is C++, just for if you try looking up info on it)

Python or C# are very common around here it seems. I would suggest you go with Python as a language to learn while you learn programming.

Please be aware of this very vital difference, Learning a Programming Language is NOT learning Programming. A programming language is a method of IMPLEMENTING a Program, but a program may be implemented in any language. Now, some languages offer different ways of doing things, which can make different problems easier/harder to solve. Learn logic, and learn how to break down a problem into simple steps that are easily defined.