what would you do with a middleware ?

Started by
13 comments, last by HolyGrail 15 years, 4 months ago
You don't need middleware to render sprites out of poser. I've seen your website, you have passable art skills. Why would you want to use poser to make a bunch of out of place, lifeless art anyways?

Quote:Original post by sunandshadow
difficult
I know Sun, and I continue to know as the years pass. Everything is always too difficult. Everything that doesn't give you your dream game after 3 clicks is too difficult, or some other similar excuse.

Meanwhile, if you took a few weeks to read through a good C# book, you could then have the skills to do whatever you wanted. There is even a top down 2D rpg starter kit on the XNA website that provides a nice framework for what you always claim to want to make anyways.

It's sad. You'll be in your forties one day, still posting the same things here, while chasing unicorns. You dream big, but won't put 2 seconds of work into it.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Daaark
You don't need middleware to render sprites out of poser. I've seen your website, you have passable art skills. Why would you want to use poser to make a bunch of out of place, lifeless art anyways?

Quote:Original post by sunandshadow
difficult
I know Sun, and I continue to know as the years pass. Everything is always too difficult. Everything that doesn't give you your dream game after 3 clicks is too difficult, or some other similar excuse.

Meanwhile, if you took a few weeks to read through a good C# book, you could then have the skills to do whatever you wanted. There is even a top down 2D rpg starter kit on the XNA website that provides a nice framework for what you always claim to want to make anyways.

It's sad. You'll be in your forties one day, still posting the same things here, while chasing unicorns. You dream big, but won't put 2 seconds of work into it.

*Raised eyebrow* I was under the impression the OP wanted to create and sell a middleware and was looking for ideas about what to make that would sell and didn't already exist. I thought of poser because the people I know who make 3D-modeled graphic novels all use poser, and people who buy middleware are the same people who would prefer to buy 3D model packs rather than make their own.

No, I'm not personally interested in Poser or 3D art at all. At the moment I'm not trying to make a game at all - actually I've mostly gotten over wanting to, except when a game I'm playing has particularly irksome design stupidities or I can't find a single game that look interesting enough to buy and play. I like dreaming; I don't like working alone, have never found anyone who shares my tastes to work with, and am too picky to compromise. I'm fortunately not quite that old - I'll be 30 soon rather than 40 - but if I was going to worry about getting old I'd worry about not having had any kids, not about not having made a videogame, which I don't think is anywhere near as important.

None of which is even remotely relevant to the thread topic...

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

If I won the lottery, I wouldn't make a videogame.

I'd go and do all the stuff poor people can't do.

Like eat and sleep in waterproof houses.
Quote:Original post by HolyGrail
@Daaark: this is a good reply.Do you think that XNA could compete with other "middleware" tools
@sunandshadow : yes this is a good idea, having a 3d engine built around poser.You should suggest this idea to companies developping middleware tools
@Kylotan : sorry for my bad use of english language. I wanted to speak of a particular "middleware tool"

Middleware is just a carefully packaged set of code. So essentially, anybody who works from a lower level (eg. XNA, or C++/DirectX, whatever) can 'compete' with a game made using middleware. They just have more work to do. It's like comparing pre-made furniture to furniture you construct yourself.

However, something like XNA itself doesn't directly compete against middleware. It's more like different points along the software spectrum. At one end you have to write everything yourself, at the other end you drag and drop stuff to make games. XNA and middleware fall somewhere in the middle.

As for your use of the language, there's no need to apologise. I was just pointing this out for the benefit of other readers as many people on these forums talk about "a middleware" or "a freeware".
Quote:Original post by Captain P
I imagine that, if you're an indie developer with a full time job, you could quit your job and live on the money you won for some time. That should give you a lot more productivity (assuming you're using your time well).

This is exactly what I would like to do.
If purchasing a 5000 $ worth tool would give me more productivity, why not :-) ?
I would like to insist on the fact that I'm not interested only by money but also by mere creativity and game programming.
If I could run my own game studio company it would be for a 99% of passion for game creation and creativity.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement