Horror games ..should they still be made

Started by
17 comments, last by Feralrath 15 years, 4 months ago
I was wondering what people think of todays horror games..Should they be continued to be made or stopped all together? I would really like an honest opinion from the members of this site to tell me their views on this question. Personally I dont like the ones of today, but then again one may come along and actually be good...I hope to hear from some of you..thanks for reading this short post.
Advertisement
define "should".

EA's Dead Space (horror shooter) has sold through around a million or two copies already. So from a business perspective, yes, absolutely they should be made.

Left 4 Dead (more zombie action than horror but depends on definition of horrors) preorders were 65% more than Valve's Orange box. So again business-wise absolutely they should still be made.

-me
The reason why I asked is because I am actually writing my own horror game. And was seeing if my project was worth the trouble or not. And I mean writing as in all the details and stuff down..Not the actual coding and stuff.I am hoping to find some help in my area on this. Because I am tired of working on it alone...LOL..but anyways I do appreciate your response...thank you...
Any game can have its points regardless of whether its genre is in the shitter. Look at Shawn of the Dead. Despite the lack of good zombie movies in recent times, or maybe because of it, that movie was great.

But, the thing that really makes a game worth it is either doing what other games have done better than previously able, or by doing something that hasn't been done before.
I am using a few ideas that has not been done in games before..Well none that I have personally seen. I am wanting to give the players more stuff to work with, more things to work out, more stuff of everything..But I promise you now if I can get this game out. It is not going to be like other horror games of today.Which are normal mindless games where you do the same old thing.Not with my game. I am adding in features I thought would be cool..I also want to give the characters in this game more movements..and not just the same old shoot,run,shoot, run, shoot,etc. You got to give the players and characters more of a challenge as you know.But thank you for your response...I appreciate it..
One tip. If you want to scare the player, don't give them a shotgun.

Quote:Original post by horrorgamewriter35
..more stuff of everything..

There go my expectations.
Not to sounds rude against your reply.But you totally avoided the question. I do accept your tip however. But please reply again but on the topic this time. I am wanting to see what the members here think about this particular topic and voice their opinion about it...In future threads please keep your replies to the actual topic and not stray from it..I am asking not telling...
Quote:Original post by Kest
One tip. If you want to scare the player, don't give them a shotgun.

Or a flash light.

Another tip: Surrealism, when done right and not just as an excuse for an obfuscated puzzle that has no connection to any other part of the game, is a great immersion tool.

I'm kinda writing a GDD document for a surrealistic horror game too right now, although I don't as much care if it's relevant to gamers or anyone will want to play it at this point. I keep thinking it'll be really fun if I can make the player do things that are not possible in reality, like killing your past self in order to allow your future self passed a door. Then again, I'd love to have the player do things that I frankly think would be impossible to do in games...I'm not going to go into that right now.
Not to sounds rude against your reply.But you totally avoided the question. I do accept your tip however. But please reply again but on the topic this time. I am wanting to see what the members here think about this particular topic and voice their opinion about it...In future threads please keep your replies to the actual topic and not stray from it..I am asking not telling...

So you just want us to reply directly to your topic and only directly to your topic - which is the either/or question "should horror games be continued to be made or stopped all together"? That's all you wanted to ask?

Then yes, I think horror games should continued to be made, and I don't think they should be stopped altogether.

Sorry, I thought my tip would make my opinion obvious. Yes, I like horror. There's nothing quite like skulking around hallways with no armor and a pathetic weapon while zombies or demons are running amok.

Hence, my tip. I never seem to get frightened when I have a shotgun, regardless of the horrors that await me. That probably goes equally for machine guns, grenades, and other heavy smack down weapons. If you give the player too much authority, the fear dissipates.

I think you also need to have a serious reduction in enemy numbers, compared to typical action games. As a player, even if I am outmatched, having demons pouring out of the walls will turn my fear into gasoline. I'll just charge them. I already know I'm likely to die, so I have nothing to lose.

I think the trick is to keep the player on the edge of losing control, but without taking it away from them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement