Sign in to follow this  
Kekko

Which hack is the worst?

Hey guys! Imagine this game: You train a squad of AI agents in a game of Laser-Tag. Notice "train", not program. You put them in a bunch of scenarios and then you get a debriefing where you can say when and where they did good or what they should have done instead. When your team is ready for it, you can pit it against other players online. Now to the dilemma: When playing vs other players, you can: Send all your AI parameters to each other and then run the simulation on each computer. This will eliminate lag and it will be virtually impossible to hack. All the hacker can do is send his AI parameters, and honest player will see an honest fight on his own un-hacked machine. The backside is that a hacker can easily steal the honest guy's AI. OR you can run your simulation more like normal games are run where each computer tells the other what it's AI is doing. This means an honest player has to trust a potentially hacked machine. So my game design question is, which one of these hacks do you think detriments gameplay the most? That an honest player can be tricked thinking he's seeing an honest fight when he's not, or that his AI can be stolen? P.S. Any solution that would get the best of both worlds is of course welcome, though I think this is the wrong forum for overly technical stuff. :)

Quote:
Original post by snak_attack
If you were willing to pay to host a server, you could have both players send their AI's to a central server which would resolve the action fairly with no disclosure.

That was my immediate thought as well. I'm also designing a multiplayer game and while I will add in a lan feature all other multiplayer will connect to my servers to eliminate cheating. Well... ok I think I can eliminate cheating. It is a turn based board game so that might help out a bit. It sounds like this method might work well in your situation as well.