Sign in to follow this  
cdxrd

Shmup questions..

cdxrd    205
Been thinking about working on a side scrolling shmup. Im curious though, how do most people go about doing their shmups? Im talking in respects to the waves of enemies.. For ex.. at 10 secs, this group comes in.. then out at 13 secs.. next wave in at 12 secs, out at 15, etc. ? Whats the best way to handle that? also, whats the best/easiest way to store that info? xml files? This is going to be done with XNA and C# fwiw..

Captain P    1092
Quote:
Original post by cdxrd
Im curious though, how do most people go about doing their shmups? Im talking in respects to the waves of enemies.. For ex.. at 10 secs, this group comes in.. then out at 13 secs.. next wave in at 12 secs, out at 15, etc. ?

A while ago I worked on a Flash top-down shooter. I used some sort of scripting for the enemy waves. Basically, I stored the spawn times and types of enemies, as well as the paths they had to take. It's a smart idea to store this in a file (plain text, xml, binary, whatever you want - each has it's advantages and disadvantages) and load it into memory when you start a new level.

However, you also need to think about how to create this data. The best would be to have a visual editor of some kind, but that can take some time to build. You could also build a special interface for your game that allows you to set these spawn-points and paths, so you can reuse part of the gamecode for your editor. Of course, writing these files by hand is also an option, although that's usually more tedious and results in less interesting designs.