What to take in high school...what books to use?

Started by
13 comments, last by Mrkpc 15 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by CrazyRonin
Somehow I figured that there would be software that allowed you to do something similar to designing a game.

There is no such software (that I know of). Game design is done with pen and paper (or word processor) generally, only the implementation is done via software. Which makes me think your interpretation of game design is something different. What, in your mind, does a game designer do?

Level or map design is (as I understand it) entry level game design. Mod creation involves more art and programming, and actual game creation (even with Game Maker) involves an arbitrary amount of art and a lot of programming. If you don't want to do any programming, don't insult programmers by calling their work "dull", since they will (rightly) suspect that you don't have a clue about what programming involves.

Advertisement
How can learning a programming language hurt?

It's the future you want for yourself, after all.
Every bit helps.
Quote:Original post by CrazyRonin
Somehow I figured that there would be software that allowed you to do something similar to designing a game.

The software I use to design games: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Paint, Corel Paint Shop Pro.
Maybe you are using a different meaning for the term "game design" that we in the industry use...?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:Original post by Tom Sloper
Maybe you are using a different meaning for the term "game design" that we in the industry use...?

To be clear "game design" means roughly: figuring out game mechanics (we'll have mana which can't regenerate in combat, our primary mechanic is sniping, these are the achievements the player can get, etc). It doesn't mean actually building the game. "Game Design" is to games what architectural blueprints are to houses.

The actual building of a game is called "Game Development". Game design is part of game development. But development also includes all the programming, map building, asset integration, etc.

-me
Game design is like building a house: The designer is the architect and he tells how the house/game is going to be.
Then a concept artist/himself will draw it.
Then the workers will build it etc.

It's really not that hard to understand.
The game designer is the 'architect' of the game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement