Sign in to follow this  
Maxxra

Learned C++, Read Some Books, Now What?

Hi All- This is my first post, but I've lurked and researched bit before I decided to jump in. My situation is as follows: By day I'm a web developer (php, python, js, etc..) but to keep myself sane I've been putting together an idea for a game. I've been reading a book on programming with directX (Advanced 3D Programming w/ DirectX 9.0, Walsh, P), and I've been making pretty good headway. Anyway, I've got some C++ skills, though I'm not a professional by any means. I've got MS Visual SDK, the Direct X SDK, and a full version of Visual Studios 2008. And I have no idea where to start. The book has given me a pretty good idea of how I can put together a rendering class and some helper classes, but past that, I dont know what I should be doing first. Is there a guide that shows what I should be working on first, to get things running quickly? I have a pretty good high level idea of what to do, but now applying that knowledge has stumped me. Thanks in advance- Max

Hey, thanks for the reply Smitty.

I've got experience with software development, but its all web based. So I guess my question is something like "what should I start coding first", and "which file should I put this class in", and "what do I need to do to get everything working together correctly". Part of my problem is dealing with the windows classes, but thankfully the book has some code examples of that.

It looks like from you suggestion, that I should try a small game first and work my way up. That sounds like pretty good advice, except that I still need to know where to get started.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Original post by smitty1276
If you don't know where to start, you should start with something smaller. There is no answer to your question--designing and developing software is something that is learned by doing.

Yup as you've found out even though you may have previous coding experience C++/DirectX is still quite a bit to take in at once.
Personally, if you want to stick with C++ I suggest getting a book on Allegro or SDL and making some 2D games so you get the feel and general idea of what all is required even for the simplest games i.e. game loop,rendering,asset loading,etc. If you want faster results consult an XNA,Python with pygame, or even a Flash book on game programming.