How do I make my own game?

Started by
5 comments, last by ICUP 15 years, 4 months ago
I am sure this question has been asked couple billion times. Here's a simple way to put it. I want to make my own game. But to start off with, a simple short level would be fine. I have no problem with doing 3d/animation. But I have no clue about programing, aside from HTML and little bit of Mel Script. So what is the best way to get started if you were in my situation? I am not trying to do anything epic. Just something nice and simple to get my hands dirty with. What do you recommend I should do? What game engine is better suited for me? Programing wise, how much is it required and is C++ the most commonely used language?
Advertisement
read this. It should answer most of your questions. If you're still confused, come back and we'll try to help.
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
this link is a bit more up to date than the above one
Seeing as you know nothing about programming you might want to start on something that has memory management. Try C# and use Visual Studio with the XNA addon. You should be able to download the express version of C#, and grab the XNA installer at [creators.xna.com]. There is also a selection of tutorials there that can get you on your feet.

I'm not saying this is a sure way of getting what you want done, but it sets up quick and lets you do simple things very easily.
I would recommend bypassing programming to begin with, if you're just wanting to get creating something. Lots of people swear by GameMaker, for example.
Quote:Original post by Kylotan
I would recommend bypassing programming to begin with, if you're just wanting to get creating something. Lots of people swear by GameMaker, for example.

Agreed, programming gives you more control (but is THAT much harder). But if you only want to be creative and make a game a tool such as GameMaker works fine.
frontjibi, ask yourself this question: "WHAT would I like to do?"

Alot of people who ask "how can I make a game" only really want to do one or two things. Most just want to "design" the game while others want to create the art and make the game "look" a certain way.

Do you want to be an artist? Then look for a team to join in as an artist.
Do you want to be a game designer? Then send in some sample docs to a team looking for a designer.

Alot of the times, people who want to do anything besides programming usually give up because they try to learn programming, hate it, get discouraged and quit.

So, find out what specific part of making a game you're interested in and find out how to be a part of it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement