Telnet over UDP?

Started by
13 comments, last by lack o comments 15 years, 4 months ago
Quote:
Telnet protocol tends to be universally blocked these days due to lack of authentication and potentially other issues

That is what I was told and it is why I made the comment in my first post about telnet being blocked.

Well, the MUD itself doesn't support SSH. Is there any free or inexpensive software I could put on the server to transfer SSH to the MUD via telnet and visa-versa? Or is that too simplistic of an expectation?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by lack o comments

Well, the MUD itself doesn't support SSH. Is there any free or inexpensive software I could put on the server to transfer SSH to the MUD via telnet and visa-versa? Or is that too simplistic of an expectation?

You don't need to support SSH in your application. Look into what tunneling is and how ssh client works.
Quote:Original post by Antheus
Telnet protocol tends to be universally blocked these days due to lack of authentication and potentially other issues.

But the chance of being able to identify an arbitrary TCP stream on an arbitrary port as being 'telnet' or even something-like-telnet is quite small. About all you can go on is that byte 255 in the stream is almost always followed by a byte between 251 and 255, and for a typical MUD application that situation might only arise once or twice in the entire session. That's why I think it's more likely that either (a) they just happened to pick a blocked port, or (b) they have pretty much everything blocked except a selected number of applications running on well-known ports. I agree that setting up an ssh daemon and getting them to attempt to connect to that is indeed a way to start finding out.
Run your MUD server on multiple ports, and treat them all as equal.
Ports that are often open:
53 (DNS)
80 (HTTP)
443 (HTTPS)
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Well, I guess I have all the knowledge needed to go from here. Thanks for all the info and ideas! Now I just need to wait a month to test it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement