This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorre

Started by
36 comments, last by Estor 15 years, 3 months ago
Quote:Original post by Mona777
Thanks so much for your time. I don't know if the Visual Studio installed on my work PC is exactly the same as my laptop at home which compiled the EXE. I know they're both VS 2005. I will check it out tonight and write back. The work one is visual studio 2005 standard edition and funny enough my laptop may have the professional edition.

Maybe it would help if I copy and paste all that I have in the winSxS folder on my laptop onto the PC at work.
Ah, I see. Is there a reason you can't just compile the code on your work PC? I wouldn't be too surprised if the version of the debug DLLs was different between professional and express editions.

I wouldn't try messing with the winsxs folder, that could break things quite spectacularly [smile]

Personally, I do a lot of development on multiple machines. I have VS2008 pro installed on my laptop which I use at home, and VS2005 Express at work. I compile the code on both machines, and just run the EXE's that they produce, rather than trying to share the EXE file between work and home.
Advertisement
I'll do what you do then Steve and won't mix them up and won't mess with the winSxS. Thanks so much for your time. I've learnt so much from you. Cheers :O)
One thing? Why you care so much about debug version when release work fine?
"The Gods Made Heavy Metal And They Saw That It Was Good They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell We Promised That We WouldWhen Losers Say Its Over With You Know That It's A Lie The Gods Made Heavy Metal And It's Never Gonna Die"THE GODS MADE HEAVY METAL/by ManOwaR
Ah, because I need to modify it and add another program to it and will need to debug it at some point so don't want to have problems later on.
Ah, because I need to modify it and add another program to it and will need to debug it at some point so don't want to have problems later on.

Ookkk... in this case having some studio instaled on target machine ( in this case at work ) will be esential for debuging, having just debug version of file will not let you debug it.

So I found msvcrtd.dll in the folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\lib but I still have the same problem.

Was it at work machine? If so, then you have or at least had VC2008 there, trie to dig in Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE and find devenv.com
or just run it from command line by typing devenv at "Start Menu -> Run"

Of curse if there are no visible icons on desktop or start menu [grin]
"The Gods Made Heavy Metal And They Saw That It Was Good They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell We Promised That We WouldWhen Losers Say Its Over With You Know That It's A Lie The Gods Made Heavy Metal And It's Never Gonna Die"THE GODS MADE HEAVY METAL/by ManOwaR
ok :O), I found devenv.com shall I double click on it? What am I doing this for? has it to do with environment variables etc?
ok :O), I found devenv.com shall I double click on it? What am I doing this for? has it to do with environment variables etc?

Yep.. db-click this should run IDE
I did that and it gives me the start page of VS2005. Visual studio developer center. What do I do now?
now you have your "play ground" dont you :D
Just bring from home your source code with all project/solution files and you can easy build/test/run etc. your code at work machine i think that will solve all your problems with manifest and future problems with modyfing your source.
Hey Estor Thank you, I have the source code with all project/solution files from home. I opened them in the new IDE but as before the release mode works and runs and the debug mode compiles but doesn't run :O(((((( giving me: This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect.
Ahhh god damn....

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement