Sign in to follow this  
Hotshot5000

Why do I get a white mesh in directx viewer?

I've created a sphere in 3ds max and exported in x format using panda directx exporter. But altough I've included a nice red material all I get in directx viewer is a white sphere? No matter what color I set in materials I always get a white sphere or any other shape for that matter?? Could it be that my graphics card doesn't support vertex & pixel shading ?? I have an old Radeon 7500 with 64 mb

If you're using the fixed pipeline, the sphere should be displayed properly even without pixel shaders support.

You say it is white, but is it plain white or is it shaded? I mean - does it look like a 2D circle or like a 3D sphere?

You can tell it's a sphere because when you move it you see like some lines that go from one pole to the other and these lines readjust as you rotate the ball...but other than that it looks like a white circle. I do not know whether directx viewer uses vertex shader or fixed pipeline. I have tried running it in c++ and I use D3DCREATE_SOFTWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING but I still get a white ball. Could it be that Panda doesn't export the materials properly. Or maybe the material that I created can only be used with vertex shaders?

Oh sorry I didn't notice you were talking about DirectX Viewer and not your code.
Exporting materials from 3ds max to .x using panda works for me (BUT - my GC supports shaders quite well). Can you try to explain a bit how did you set the material? What kind of material etc, or just give a screenshot of 3ds max.