RPG

Started by
18 comments, last by stormwarestudios 15 years, 4 months ago
Hey I'm new to these forums, but I already looked at them for a few times. I hope I'm not doing/posting anything against the rules and if I do please tell me. My game idea is an RPG, I know most guys are tired of people announcing: Hey look at me i'm going to make an RPG and it will be better than all the others. But I'll just give it a try ;). Like I said I want to make an RPG and it doesn't have to be with super new graphics and with an engine like Havok, Euphoria, Frostbite etc. It is my plan to have it as medieval as possible, so no magic but there can maybe be some monsters. I already wrote alot on paper about it and made some sketchy maps for the world. What I want to make unique about this RPG is that when you grow up, you start like a kid, the world will change when you grow up. What I mean is not only that there are maybe houses build but i mean the appearence of the world itself. As a kid you see the world so colourful, great, as a big playground(well that's what I thought when I was younger). But as you slowly grow up you will learn the dark-sides of the world like war, and the world isn't as colourful and as a dream and your vision on the world will get slightly less colourful and nice as you first thought. That's what i want to include in the game, that you see it's way more dangerous then you were thinking as a child. And to show this you can make the world itself less colourful and more aggresive and see things that you didn't see in your childhood like war, and 'unfair' things. Thank you for reading this and tell me what you think, but please be as act mature. Ps. Sorry if I made spelling mistakes, English isn't my first language.
Advertisement
Fable?
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
I expected you to say that but Fable is when YOU CHANGE the world, and my idea is when you grow up.
Fable is more like a matter Good/Evil.
My idea is more a matter of time.
And Fable stays like a fairy tale and my game idea is you begin in a fairy tale and you end in a sort of hell.
Fast reply by the way.

Ps. I already read alot of Tom Sloper at Sloperama and like 8 other sites.
And I'm really looking everywhere for inspiriration i even once wrote some word at school in my workbook that i didn't hear right and changed it a little bit until it was a good name for a fantasy country i didn't use it though xD.
And i have a problem: I'm pretty young.
How does this all affect the gameplay? The setting concept seems like it could be mildly compelling, but doesn't add up to much of a selling point. What is the actual impact on the player's experiences (besides aesthetics)?
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Quote:Original post by zer0wolf
How does this all affect the gameplay? The setting concept seems like it could be mildly compelling, but doesn't add up to much of a selling point. What is the actual impact on the player's experiences?

Well it's my plan to really let you feel you grow up and get more experienced in a game world.
I don't think it is ever done in a game is it?
It's like a book, you start and the more you advance in it the more detail is added to the world.
Actually, the beginning of the recent Fallout 3 had you pretty well doing exactly that. You begin the game as a baby and then the first half hour to an hour of gameplay is you reaching adulthood. Taking this and expanding it across the length of an entire game can work, but what I'm say is that I don't think this in and of itself is all that compelling.

What is the player learning as they get older (besides the obvious)? What are the different changes that will occur in the world around the player (besides just visual changes)? Where is the excitement coming from?
Is it all based on time, or are there scripted changes? As in, you accomplish a certain mission of sorts and you age? Or, is it ment to be more of a sandbox game (which I don't beleive fable to be unlike morrowind) where you are completly free to do whatever you like?

In either case, try to think about what would engage a player to keep playing, otherwise I doubt people will just wait around to get old ;P

But it is a good conecpt do you die at the end?

Goodluck,
Wyatt.
I totally like your idea.
I like your basic idea, but I'd love to see more gameplay impact as stated by others before. It seems you have the classical "good idea" to start from, but it refuses to really take shape, at least, in the words you are telling us, it is just a somber idea with no real attaches to the gaming world aside from vague references. If you can list various ways your idea can be achieved, it would give us a better idea about exactly how gameplay would be influenced by the scope of the loss of innocence (because you are not refering to maturity nor aging, but merely the loss of innocence). I would point out alice, and american mcgee's alice as references for your design process though, as you may realize the innocent and not-so-innocent alice have only few things in common...
What i mean is when you are a child you see for example a house just as a big collection of bricks with a roof on it, but when you get older you are starting to see more detail of it like the material it is made of, the shape, the little details, what sort of architecture.

I want that to happen when you play the game, you first are a kid and feel like this you see only basic shapes but when you advance in the game, the game will show more detail in the world (better graphics).

The game must be like: You start in Fable, the game's goal isn't being detailed. And you end up in a sort of The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.
I hope you guys know what i mean, and thanks for the comments.

Ps. I have read this technique in a book on How To Make Cartoon Characters.
And it describes the first part of the book where Arthur is a kid, at that period the drawing style is very innocent, and less detailed.
And the further Arthur grows the more detailed and harder the drawing-style gets.

It's like drawing/painting: First you make a sketch (Childhood in the game) and then it will end up being a piece of art, fully coloured and detailed (Aged in the game)

[Edited by - Daan013 on December 18, 2008 3:29:32 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement