Sign in to follow this  
me3639

Looking for Guidance/ partners

Looking for guidance and/ or partners for help during this long learning process. I currently am tracking thru the C# workshop, and reading "Beginning C# game programming". I have completed some beginner programming courses in the past and i am looking one day to have my own game studio. I consider myself weak in an artistic sense, but I am strong in ideas and thought. I work best in brainstorming sessions. I have been playing games my whole life and always wanted to learn. The first games i played were The Oregon Trail, Zork and Hangman on an old TRS-80. I was going to attend college this past fall for game development, but because of the economy, and fear that it wasn't nationally accredited(not the schools fault)i bailed. The cost for a degree in an industry that is poorly managed doesn't help either. Hopefully with the help of this community, I am hoping to gain enough knowledge and network to help achieve my goals one day. Thank you for your time and any comments.

A degree from a "Game School" (Full Sail or whatnot) does not guarantee you'll get a job in the industry. A more generalized computer science degree would probably let you cast a wider net when it comes to the job search later on.

By all means, follow your dream of game programming... just have a backup plan so you don't starve during the quest.

Also, experience trumps grades. Make some complete and polished games (start at pong, work your way up to asteroids and pac-man). You'll not only learn a lot along the way, each game you make adds value to your resume.