SDL

Started by
3 comments, last by MARS_999 22 years, 9 months ago
Anyone here ever use the SDL API? I would like to know more about it. Is it for DOS or Windows? Also is the API fast or not? Thanks. Please forgive me! =)
Advertisement
For what?

I''ve used SDL, and it''s a great little API. I don''t think they have a DOS version, but I know they have it for Windows, Mac, Linus, and BeOS. I didn''t use the 2D functionality, but from the demos I saw it''s pretty darn quick. It creates OpenGL rendering contexts with a single call, on any platform, which is so much better than the usual 50+ lines in Windows. It also does sound, keyboard and mouse input, network, and cd playing. The best part is that SDL only provides the services you want, so you can use your own sound library if you want.

I''d highly recommend SDL to everyone. Even if you''re not concerned about cross-platform, is greatly simplifies dealing with the OS.
Thinking about using it? Right now I am learning OpenGL with the OpenGL game programming book! Just wondering if SDL would be a good API to pick up?

Please forgive me! =)
I have used it in the past it it works well. The support from loki is good though I never got a response to any of my emails on their email support list.

As for fast \ slow, the speed of rendering comes from your usage of opengl. Their ''wrapping'' of opengl mainly covers creating the window for you. Past that point it''s all your code (they wrap the bufferswap but only minimally).

For the most part it works fine. I only stoped using it as I wanted to write all that stuff myself.

The biggest advantage I saw was the wrapping of the input event system.

If you want to know what it does under the covers just download the source and have a poke around. In fact that how I came up with much of my code....

HTH
Chris Brodie
Just morbo''s post... Network? Didn''t last time I looked (about 6 months ago I admit).

I was going to use the Hawk API for networking... Hawk also have a nice compeditor to DirectPlay''s voice.. very cool...
Chris Brodie

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement