Sign in to follow this  
endrien

I'd like to make a nes style game, good way to start?

Well as the title states, I'm looking to make a NES style game(Maybe make it into a ROM if its possible..)But theres one probmlem, I don't exactlty know how to program. I've done a little in means of it, but not near enough to know how to program a game. So how can I get started, and what should I use? Thanks ~Endrien

If by 'NES style' you mean 2D, well I truly think Game Maker is what you want, it doesent get easier then that, and its pretty capable. Its free and theres a comercial one that costs around $25 which unlock more advanced features. This is a 2d game designer's dream.

Quote:
Original post by 2DExtremeOwner
If by 'NES style' you mean 2D, well I truly think Game Maker is what you want, it doesent get easier then that, and its pretty capable. Its free and theres a comercial one that costs around $25 which unlock more advanced features. This is a 2d game designer's dream.

I'll give game maker a shot, but I'd also think itd be pretty cool to write a game in 6502 assembly :P

Quote:
Original post by endrien
Quote:

I'll give game maker a shot, but I'd also think itd be pretty cool to write a game in 6502 assembly :P

I assure you, you won't think that when you have had a look at it ;)

Something like Game maker or RPG Maker (for RPGs) might be suitable to create NES style games.

Quote:
Original post by endrien
Quote:

It may be cool, but it'd also take you several years. It'd be like writing an essay by tearing your keyboard off of it's USB cable, and then tapping wires together to send letters to the PC.

It may be cool, but it'd also take you several years. It'd be like writing an essay by tearing your keyboard off of it's USB cable, and then tapping wires together to send letters to the PC.[/quote]

Ouch, I'll stick to gamemaker then!

Let me throw a recommendation for XNA in the works.

I've only just approached XNA and I'm impressed at the speed you can knock games up. The XNA creator's website has some very good video tutorials to get you started, all the software and SDKs are free (Visual Studio Express, XNA Game Studio 3.0) and if you buy a creator's subscription, you can play your games on Xbox 360.

Quote:
Original post by Evil SteveIt may be cool, but it'd also take you several years. It'd be like writing an essay by tearing your keyboard off of it's USB cable, and then tapping wires together to send letters to the PC.

Oooh, oooh, I like that analogy. I'm going to try it next semester...... of wait, I'm using a laptop....

*goes off in search of that sledge hammer*

Something like RPG Maker is the way to go.

If you are experienced with programming (you said you are not) and really want to make a real NES rom you will find info's here:
NES Tutorial
Zophar's Domain, best emu/console resource out there imo

When you need tiles, either make them yourself, or find a friend who can make them:
Pixel Art Tutorial