Convert array to string

Started by
7 comments, last by xivVerge 15 years, 3 months ago
Hi all, in one of my scripts I have a class called A that contains some members. When creating an array of A and converting this array to a string I get a access violation in asCScriptEngine::CallObjectMethod Here is a small example. The string is the stl string registered without reference counting:

class A {
    int x;
    int y;
}

string toString(const A& a) {
    return a.x + ":" + a.y;
}

string toString(const A[]& a) {
    string s;
    for (uint i=0; i<a.length(); i++)
        s += "element " + i + ":" + toString(a);
    return s;
}

A[] As;

As.resize(2);
As[0].x = 1;
As[0].y = 2;
As[1].x = 1;
As[1].y = 2;

print(toString(As));

Any ideas whats going wrong. Regards, Tim
Advertisement
I'll have to investigate this. It could be a problem in AngelScript itself. However, as I'm on vacation (just doing a quick stop by on the forum) don't expect any resolution until I get home in January.

Are you using CScriptString as the string implementation?

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Hi,

no I've registered the std::string directly with:

RegisterObjectType("string", sizeof(string), asOBJ_VALUE | asOBJ_APP_CLASS_CDA);
RegisterStringFactory("string", asFUNCTION(StringFactory), asCALL_CDECL);

Everything else connected to string is working fine (string return value, pass string by value and ref...)

Have a nice vacation,

Tim

[Edited by - xivVerge on December 22, 2008 1:21:11 AM]
I did another investiagtion.
It has nothing to do with string.
The following example gives the same error.

class A{    int x;}int sum(const A[]& a){    int s = 0;    for (uint i=0; i<a.length(); i++)        s+=a.x;    return s;}A[] As;As.resize(2);As[0].x = 1;As[1].x = 2;sum(As);

Merry Christmas,
Tim
Thanks for the extra information. It ought to be quite easy to find and fix the bug with this sample.

Regards,
Andreas

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Just got a chance to look into this, and unfortunately both of the examples that you're presenting are working without any error, so I have no idea what's going on. This is on the latest version from the SVN (2.15.1 WIP).

What version of AngelScript are you using?

I'am using 2.15.0 with AS_POSIX_THREADS and AS_NO_USER_ALLOC

Regards, Tim
I wrote the following test case, and tried it with AS_NO_USER_ALLOC, but it still doesn't show any problem. The fact that you use Posix threads shouldn't make a difference either. But I'll give the test a try on my Mac as well when I get the time, just to make sure.

bool Test2(){  bool fail = false;  const char *script =  "class A                              \n"  "{                                    \n"  "  int x;                             \n"  "}                                    \n"  "int sum(const A[]& a)                \n"  "{                                    \n"  "  int s = 0;                         \n"  "  for (uint i=0; i<a.length(); i++)  \n"  "    s+=a.x;                       \n"  "  return s;                          \n"  "}                                    \n";  const char *exec =  "A[] As;       \n"  "As.resize(2); \n"  "As[0].x = 1;  \n"  "As[1].x = 2;  \n"  "sum(As);      \n";  asIScriptEngine *engine = asCreateScriptEngine(ANGELSCRIPT_VERSION);  asIScriptModule *module = engine->GetModule("module", asGM_ALWAYS_CREATE);  module->AddScriptSection("script", script);  int r = module->Build();  if( r < 0 )  {    fail = true;  }  r = engine->ExecuteString("module", exec);  if( r != asEXECUTION_FINISHED )  {    fail = true;  }  engine->Release();  return fail;}

Could you verify if the above test reproduces the problem on your setup?

Regards,
Andreas

I tried your example in a little console program and it worked.
But when I run the script in my other project, where many different classes are registered it always crashes.
I will look into it and maybe find some hints to the bug.

Thanks for your help,
Tim

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement