Python : Books?

Started by
3 comments, last by Kilom 15 years, 4 months ago
hello, if youve been watching these forums you might have seen some of my previous threads/posts, in them i suggested getting a book. So im looking to see if you have any suggestions on a particular book you liked when learning python (beginner), im also wandering if i can use python to make a MUD (multi user dungeon) if so, do you have any tips on making a MUD in python? and what should i be learning? (im reading tutorials just to find that parts of them arent needed). thanks :)
Advertisement
I thought this book was good.

And yes, it is definitely possible to make a MUD using Python.
Quote:im also wandering if i can use python to make a MUD (multi user dungeon)
Yes.

Quote:if so, do you have any tips on making a MUD in python?
Make sure you have experience writing simpler games before you tackle a MUD.

Quote:and what should i be learning?
Becoming comfortable with the language would be a start. It's impossible to list everything you need to know, and it can't be cleanly described anyway. Cut out the M in the MUD and work on a single player version of it. Make a simpler text adventure. Actually, make various parts of it. Like something that can handle and parse user input properly. How would you represent the rooms in the adventure? A small game of interacting with objects.

The usual suggestion is working your way up by starting with trivial games and then building on them. Set aside the MUD or text adventure and work your way up. Old forum posts may have some suggestions on sample games or card and dice games to implement.

Quote:im reading tutorials just to find that parts of them arent needed
Can you give us examples? (Of the tutorials and what you considered unnecessary.)

Also, can you please use proper capitalization. Unlike real time chats, the format of forum posts is usually properly typed out responses with correct spelling and capitalization. You have all the time in the world to write a coherent post, so take it. Right now, although your post is coherent, the lack of capitalization makes it look like a messy incoherent blurb, and it certainly makes it harder to read. Many people will just ignore you outright and help someone else, so you aren't doing yourself any good here.
Thanks tufflax for info on a python book, and oler1s this does say "beginner forum" so if i didnt realize that i missed out a capital letter and its against the "rules" then i stand corrected any way thanks alot for answering my MUD questions it helped alot.

"Can you give us examples? (Of the tutorials and what you considered unnecessary.)" I mean the parts of tutorials i need for MUD's, for exapmle i dont need "Hello world" To play a big plan in my MUD, so what im saying is is that while im waisting my time on "Hello world" I could be learning loops etc. This is anoying when the only tutorials i can find are for general python programing not game programing.
Quote:Original post by richell
Thanks tufflax for info on a python book, and oler1s this does say "beginner forum" so if i didnt realize that i missed out a capital letter and its against the "rules" then i stand corrected any way thanks alot for answering my MUD questions it helped alot.

It's not "against the rules", it's just not really the proper way to type. Like oler1s said, this is a forum, not a chat room like thing like IRC. So take your time by using proper spelling, grammar, conventions, etc....makes you look more intelligent anyways.

But enough of that, I don't want to make it seem like I'm flaming you, opposite really.

Quote:"Can you give us examples? (Of the tutorials and what you considered unnecessary.)" I mean the parts of tutorials i need for MUD's, for exapmle i dont need "Hello world" To play a big plan in my MUD, so what im saying is is that while im waisting my time on "Hello world" I could be learning loops etc. This is anoying when the only tutorials i can find are for general python programing not game programing.

Actually, the "Hello World" thing, unless you're already familiar with basic programming skills, is far from useless. How else are you going to learn to output text. If anything, it gives you a basic handle of what the language is like.

If you really feel like you can progress farther, then why don't you do so? Also, game programming isn't a whole separate thing. It's just a certain aspect of programming. If you can't or don't want to do general programming, then you won't go very far in game programming.

Reiterating what oler1s said, start small, learn how to use the language, and gradually develop more complex games. Such as going from Guess the Number (simplest "game" I can think of and repeated quite often by other members here it seems as well), to a Pong or Tetris clone, etc.

Even though I am a "beginner" myself, I hope this helps.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement