The Face of Morning's Wrath 2: Caverns of the North

Started by
12 comments, last by EDI 15 years, 3 months ago
The visual style of MW2 is starting to take shape, what do you guys think of it so far? (first note, the character is the one from MW1, simply as a stand-in for scale)

Raymond Jacobs, Owner - Ethereal Darkness Interactive
www.EDIGames.com - EDIGamesCompany - @EDIGames

Advertisement
As always looks awesome. Are the tents and trees 3d models or pre-rendered 2d graphics?

I look forward to more eye candy :)
Evillive2
It does indeed look great, EDI. :D Keep up the good work.

Despite you saying you wanted the flag to stick out, I can't help but think that it is *too* white. I know you said it looked better when it was waving in the wind. Anyway to get an animated .gif of just the flag or something, if it isn't any trouble? :|

Heck, it is whiter than the snow. Or maybe it just seems to lack texture. I dunno.

Anywho, good luck with this one!
It's looking a lot better than earlier version I saw. The components blend a bit better now. However it still looks a bit like you've cut and paste different elmenents together, especially with the slightly plastic looking trees and rocks with the gritty feel of the grass and the now dirty tents. I'm also not sure if the lighting is consistent with some of the crates, the tents and the rocks. The flag does stick out a bit too much too.

In general, I'm not sure about the grass. It's very detailed, but I don't know how well it will go with the other elements or whether it will be visually tiring. This is something that I'd need to see in motion to get a good feel of whether it's a problem though; it's possible that in-game it would be fine.
Hi!

Looks sweet! I like the ground and crates but there are a few things that bother me though. The trees look like sticks put together, the grey needle tree in the upper left corner should have some needles left on it. Needle trees do not shed the needles in the winter. The roots could use some work too. The fireplace looks a little bit pasted; it might be because there are a lot of blurry dark areas around it. The flag does not bother me so much. The picture looks very professional overall though.
Looks fantastic and would also be interested in whether it is 3D or 3D rendered 2D.
The flag seems to lack any shadows/shading.
It's 2D, most of the elements are pre-rendered 3D, with a lot of photoshop post work.

here is another pic of the sameish scene but with some lighting for a night scene.
also a bit of fire particles :)

Raymond Jacobs, Owner - Ethereal Darkness Interactive
www.EDIGames.com - EDIGamesCompany - @EDIGames

The flag has no shading, look very awkward.

The trees and the rocks look like they don't belong. The rocks don't even seem to be in perspective. They somehow appear to be closer to my eye than the tent that is in front of them. They have hard shadows, but nowhere else in the scene do you get those hard shadows.

The little brown box doesn't even have the same lighting as the bigger box beside it. You have to be careful to keep that stuff consistent.

I see you dirtied up the objects. Next time, you should put the dirt in places where dirt is most likely to be, like where they meet the ground, and at the folds. It appears that the current dirt is just a smear in the center of every facet.

This is an improvement over the last shot you posted. Good work.
The lack of real shadows still bothers me, I think that my be contributing a lot to the overall feel.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

Considering the age of the project the night scene looks very good. I imagine some of the pre-rendered graphics such as the trees and rocks may get some touch ups to fit a little nicer with the surroundings as the game goes through production. The last 2 titles have looked very well polished in the end and I expect the same will be done in this version.

Keep up the great work. Looking forward to finding out what the creature is behind the tent :)
Evillive2

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement